• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

Custom Gearbox

Alan_M

Given that I have an BE1/3 Mi16 box, a GTi6 5-speed box from a Xsara (Same as an S16?) and a 1.9 box in my garage, I figured that I may as well have a go at building a custom box. This will all coincide nicely with the install of my TransX diff too.

Seems as though the popular choice is the 1.9 with Mi 4.4 FD, although I did really like my std 1.6 box. Will there be much improvement, given that the car gets twatted to the Ring, crashed then limped home a few times a year with a couple thousand B-road miles chucked in for good measure? Or shall I keep the 1.6 box?

Anthony

I'd personally say that a 1.9 with 4.4 (Mi16) FD combo would be too short for the 'Ring and would probably prove somewhat tiresome long-distance, although it would be a good choice for most UK circuits and for B-road blasts.

A 1.9 with 4.0 (1.6) FD combo would probably be a better compromise for the 'Ring and driving back and forth - that's basically a 1.6 box with a longer first gear.

casnell
Given that I have an BE1/3 Mi16 box, a GTi6 5-speed box from a Xsara (Same as an S16?) and a 1.9 box in my garage, I figured that I may as well have a go at building a custom box. This will all coincide nicely with the install of my TransX diff too.

Seems as though the popular choice is the 1.9 with Mi 4.4 FD, although I did really like my std 1.6 box. Will there be much improvement, given that the car gets twatted to the Ring, crashed then limped home a few times a year with a couple thousand B-road miles chucked in for good measure? Or shall I keep the 1.6 box?

I like my box-Mi Be3 first, 1.6 2,3,4 Mi 5th, with Mi 4.4.

Bit of a gap 4-5, but 1-4 makes it worthwhile!

Alan_M
I'd personally say that a 1.9 with 4.4 (Mi16) FD combo would be too short for the 'Ring and would probably prove somewhat tiresome long-distance, although it would be a good choice for most UK circuits and for B-road blasts.

A 1.9 with 4.0 (1.6) FD combo would probably be a better compromise for the 'Ring and driving back and forth - that's basically a 1.6 box with a longer first gear.

Ta, sounds like a plan. Certainly don't fancy bouncing off the limiter all the way there!

Next question is, how hard is it to actually do? Any tips (Miles) on what to look for and what to replace?

C_W

IMO, the best combination is 1.9 ratios with a 1.6 final drive. It's a noticeable drop from a 1.9 diff but you get used to it and it's fine on motorways I found.

It's perfect for the ring though; you'll probably just nudge the limiter going down Foxhole in 5th! at 135ish and it will pull nicely elsewhere in 5th without topping out.

Messing about like putting a longer 5th to retain cruising, or super short lower gears will ruin the car as you'll wish all your gears were close/linear like the 1.9 ratios.

Miles did mine for a good price, I wouldn't know where to start with a gearbox tbh, and more to the point, know that it will be reliable!

Alan_M
IMO, the best combination is 1.9 ratios with a 1.6 final drive. It's a noticeable drop from a 1.9 diff but you get used to it and it's fine on motorways I found.

It's perfect for the ring though; you'll probably just nudge the limiter going down Foxhole in 5th! at 135ish.

Messing about like putting a longer 5th to retain cruising, or super short lower gears will ruin the car as you'll wish all your gears were close/linear like the 1.9 ratios.

Certainly not hit the limiter down Foxhole yet, 125ish is the limit of my bottle down that particular section.

James_R

Not trying hard enough then alan, try running out of 5th and using 6th :) then having no brakes out the top for adenaur forst :s

As Ant says, 1.9 cluster 1.6 final for the ring, I'm swapping to a 4.4CWP on mine, but I'm going round to 7750rpm on the new engine so I still get 136 flat out, I'm thinking about swapping back to BE1 on a Be3 clutch arm so reverse is effectively locked out just incase I forget I'm not running a 6spd box anymore.

Alternatively if you can live with out the lock, the 6 box is pretty spot on for ring bashing, you *can* go fast enough to need 6th on track in a couple places.

Oh and as Chris says for the money Miles charges it's almost penny pinching to do it yourself, unless you really relish a challenge :P

luggy

Im in the process of putting together a hybrid box, using Mi16 cluster and 1.6 FD.

It seems a comprimise between Mi16 FD and 1.9 FD but then again it will be a daily driver, the only thing I will recon on the box is the input shaft bearings and seal which are being supplied by Miles.

Miles

The older Hanyes manual cover's the box quite well and has some good pics (Did I say that :o ) The only thing you might need as the tolances are quite wide is a huge gear puller for the output shaft and what you will never have is shim's for the input shaft

Sign in to follow this