• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ifcho

How Hard Is It To Swap Diffs?

ifcho

I did a search on this topic, but unfortunately could not find an answer.

if I'm to swap the differentials between an early 1.6 Be1 gearbox a new 1.9 be3 gearbox (to use the 1.9 be3 gearbox with the 1.6 diff) do I need to completely dissassemble the gearboxes as per this article (http://www.rallyparts.co.uk/cwp_change/) or I just need to undo the nuts holding the diff to the gearbox casing and swap them off?

luggy
I just need to undo the nuts holding the diff to the gearbox casing and swap them off?

If its only diff you want to change and not the gear ratios then yes, and the crown wheel on the diff, its the same if you were installing a Limited Slip Diff which is in the articles section on the main website.

ifcho

thanks for pointing me to that article...somehow I have missed it :blink:

pug_ham

Its not hard but reading your post you are wanting to use the 1.6 fd in a 1.9 gearbox which actually involves a full strip of the gearbox & not just swapping the diff but swapping the crown wheel & pinion over.

http://www.rallyparts.co.uk/cwp_change/

You'd be better using the later diff from the Be3 also because they are stronger than the Be1 diffs.

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/s-qu...atbinstall.html

Graham.

ifcho

If I understand correctly, to change the final drive of my gearbox I should change the pinion and crown wheel, for which I need to do a full strip of the gearbox, correct (it sounds logical...)

You say the diffs are not the same? In such case it may be better to look for some s16/mi16 diff as it has a shorter final drive..but I guess I will have to buy the whole gearbox, as the parts I'm looking after are atually the pinion and crown wheel, correct?

d-9

The later diffs are stronger than the earlier ones (theres some reinforcing and possibly a larger diameter pin in the middle).

The crown wheel bolts onto the diff with 6 17mm bolts, use lots of threadlock when you put them back on. If you want to change the final drive ratio, you will need the pinion and crown wheel, and will have to strip both boxes.

pug_ham
In such case it may be better to look for some s16/mi16 diff

The later Be3 (S16 / iron block Mi16) have a different diff again & which driveshafts on a 205 won't seat into fully so you are restricted to a 205 / 309 diff when using original driveshafts without going custom.

Graham.

ifcho

:wub:

I undestand that a 4.4 final drive from an oder alu mi16 will work fine?

If yes, is there any mark on the diff/gearbox that will show me which gearbox it is?

pug_ham

The 4.4 diff is fitted to quite a few different gearboxes (Mi16, S16, Xsara VTS) but afaik there are no external marking to say what the gearbox or diff it is.

Personally if I were buying a gearbox that was of relatively unknown orign I'd want to take the diff cover off & see what numbers were stamped into the crownwheel before handing any cash over just on case it wasn't what I was after.

Graham.

ifcho

Hi Graham, sorry for the many questions, indeed checking the crownwheel is maybe the only way to determine the final driver.

In a post above you said that a diff from a s16 is different and uses different driveshafts.

However, I can get only the crownwheel and the pinion from the 4.4 box and put them on my 1.9 box with the old diff (from the 1.9) so there will be no problem with the driveshafts.

Am I correct?

pug_ham
In a post above you said that a diff from a s16 is different and uses different driveshafts.

However, I can get only the crownwheel and the pinion from the 4.4 box and put them on my 1.9 box with the old diff (from the 1.9) so there will be no problem with the driveshafts.

Am I correct?

Yes, the crown wheel & pinion can be taken from any box with the 4.4 FD (or whatever FD ratio you choose) & fitted to a different diff suitable for use with the 205 / 309 driveshafts.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this