• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SimonJ

Do I Need An Mi16 Flywheel

SimonJ

I'm fairly sure that in the next year I'm going down the Weber 45s / Emerald or Omex ignition route. Should I be trying to pick up an Mi16 flywheel in the meantime or are the timing wheels you can get a good reliable alternative? I'd rather not have to take the 'box off but if people's experiences is of timing wheels being unreliable when attached (exposed) somewhere on the other end of the engine then I might go for it. Thanks.

welshpug

I fitted Motronic to my 8 valver so I had to fit an Mi flywheel, its not a big job and makes for a very neat install IMO, I wouldn't be happy with an exposed sensor like some I have seen, the slightest of knocks to the sensor and the engine is dead.

It can be far cheaper than fabricating a bracket and adding a trigger wheel to the crank pulley, I managed to pick up a flywheel and a second hand clutch for £50 off this forum.

taking the box off isnt a big job at all so there's no reason not to do it this way.

SimonJ

Thanks, that makes sense. Is the new sensor mounted inside the clutch/flywheel housing or outside looking through the gap? Guess I would prefer it outside for maintenance?

welshpug

its bolted on from outside at the top (next to the head under the thermostat housing) with a single M6 bolt, no adjustment necessary.

you do need to check which gearbox you have, early BE1 boxes don't have the hole for the sensor, later ones do, as do all BE3 boxes.

SimonJ

BE3 so no problem. Many thanks for your help.

Sign in to follow this