• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rich_p

Engine Feeling Flat?

Rich_p

I've not long got a stadard 1.6 gti and had a fellow 205 owner have a drive of it at the weekend.

He reckons it feels a bit flat at the top end compared to others. I'd have to agree it does seem to get to 5k maybe and doesn't feel like theres any more to give, it doesn't die of just stays the same.

It starts on the ball every time and idles nicely and feels like a strong engine lower down.

My cousin was behind me the other week and said when acceleraing it does smell of petrol a bit.

Could it be slightly overfueling at the top end thats causing the flatness?

Is this an easy fix?

Rich_p

Just to add He said it felt a little like it wasn't getting full throttle, we checked it and it was fine.

Tom Fenton

Start with the basics really, has it had a decent service and filters recently? Then either check or have the ignition timing checked.

Rich_p

Its had new leads/plugs etc in the last year, I've just changed the oil and filter to.

I shall replace the fuel filter and airfilter and give the intake system a good clean out and see if it makes any difference.

Plus the timing to, just need to find someone with a timing gun!

welshpug

you don't need a timing gun, quality of fuel has improved rather a lot since the specifications were set for the 205, adjust it by ear is the best way, have a search for Damirgti and sutol's posts about ignition timing.

Rich_p
you don't need a timing gun, quality of fuel has improved rather a lot since the specifications were set for the 205, adjust it by ear is the best way, have a search for Damirgti and sutol's posts about ignition timing.

If I did that myself I could see things going very wrong ;)

Rob_the_Sparky

It sin't hard and ignition timing would be my first guess. Could also be a restriction in the air intake or exhaust. Seen a case where the exhaust collapses internally partially blocking the down pipe, I suspect that would cause similar symptoms but it is rare. Basic checks and ignition timing is the first port of call.

Rob

simonb

Agreed - simple things like the rotor arm and cap can make a huge difference on these cars and dont really cost that much. If they were changed a year ago then they could well be suffering from problems already. Also, how about running some injector cleaner through the fuel system next time you fill up?

Richie-Van-GTi

I had one do the same, turned out to be a lazy fuel pump running it lean at the top end, you want it slightly richer at the top end, over fueling would give issues lower down. Try borrowing a known good pump to rule it out if you can.

Rich_p

Right I shall take all comments on board, I think its sleeves up time at the weekend to give everything a good check.

I need to find someone in the know re the timing though, I'm not confident woth muckng about with that myself.

One other question, should you be able to hear the fuel pump prime on 205's when switiching the ignition on?

You can in my civic and also the fiesta beofe that, I can't remember back to the 309 though, it was 10 years ago!

simonb

On some you can and others you cant - it seems to be a bit random. The fuel pump should be running when the engine is cranking and it takes no time at all to pressurise the system so it should be OK if yours doesn't prime when the ignition is turned on.

It may be worth checking the Throttle switch (TPS) function at WOT as this tells the ECU to dump more fuel in and could cause lean running at the top end if it's not working or adjusted incorrectly.

Dan Ingram

I had the same problem and it was the TPS you need to make sure it clicks twice I think. Once as if you were just as it comes off idle and then again just as it gets to WOT

Rich_p
I had the same problem and it was the TPS you need to make sure it clicks twice I think. Once as if you were just as it comes off idle and then again just as it gets to WOT

Can you only hear the clicks once the engine is running?

C_W

There is only one "click" (of a microswitch) and that's for the idle setting. The WOT part of the "switch" is actually for 3/4 - full pedall travel and there's no click with it.

simonb

Not sure if it clicks twice - Mine only clicks at idle. Can anyone confirm this?

jackherer
Not sure if it clicks twice - Mine only clicks at idle. Can anyone confirm this?

Thats correct, the slightest touch of the pedal should make it click and it should click again when the pedal is released.

Rich_p
There is only one "click" (of a microswitch) and that's for the idle setting. The WOT part of the "switch" is actually for 3/4 - full pedall travel and there's no click with it.

So theres no way of telling if its working correctly at Full pedal travel?

jackherer
So theres no way of telling if its working correctly at Full pedal travel?

Not without a multimeter or battery/bulb/wire.

Rich_p
Not without a multimeter or battery/bulb/wire.

So in theory if I attch a multi meter into the plug contacts there should be a raise in the voltage when it comes off of idle and another rise when it hits full 3/4 throttle?

jackherer
So in theory if I attch a multi meter into the plug contacts there should be a raise in the voltage when it comes off of idle and another rise when it hits full 3/4 throttle?

Take the plug off and put the meters probes onto the pins on the switch itself. Set the meter to test for continuity (resistance).

Sign in to follow this