• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
greig

Alpine White?

greig

This weekend Ive been touching a few bits ups on my 1989 p1.5 1.6 205gti - I used a can of peugeot alpine white from halfrauds as I believed this to be the correct colour for my car but it seems to be much creamier in colour to the paint already on there, looks like its got a tinge of yelow to it whereas the rest of the car is a rather bright white. A replacement bonnet I bought a year or so back was the same shade as the rest of the car and I believe this to be alpine white. Does it sound like i actually have a bianca white (or other colour??) car? or is it just s*itty halfrauds paints? can you get the original colours from peugeot?

cheers,

Greig

Edited by greig

GLPoomobile

I'm not sure about what colour is correct, but years ago I did some spraying on my first GTI, a F reg white one. I used about 3 different shades of Halfords white as I wasn't sure which was correct, and none of them matched particulary well, either too bright, too dull, or too creamy.

Ryan

Halfords paint is crap. I bought two cans once and they weren't even the same colour as each other, let alone the car.

Pug_Power_Dave

mabe give artic white ago? its abit creamier than bianco, but not as much as alpine!

steve@cornwall
mabe give artic white ago? its abit creamier than bianco, but not as much as alpine!

If that's the one halfrauds DON'T list as for 88 - 89 205s It'll be the one I used a few years ago. only problem was that the paint had speckles of yellow and red in it. Once you have found the shade, have it mixed for you at halfrauds, even if they have ready mixed on the shelf. Its far better quality and covers better, higher price - better value IMO

toddydal

the colour code for your car is ewt and peugeot used this colour from 1978 to 1993 but ther could be 10 different shades of the same colour white,(ie,,1 could be more yellower or 1 could be more redder or bluer or greener,thats why bodyshops have colour books and colour variants to try to get the exact match for your cars,your just wasting your time getting it from halfords unless your very lucky and get one near enough to match

christopher

My local factors has 3 different shades of alpine white...Not sure why. One is colder and another more creamy

Edited by christopher

Jrod

I thought alpine white was POWT?

I think they did an earlier (creamy one) and later was more white.

Halfords paint is s*ite, I used Holts and the match is so perfect I was gobsmacked! Only problem is it's hard to get hold of.

Edited by Jrod

Baz

G plates tend to be the older shade of bianca, whereas the later ph2's are Alpine iirc.

RossD
I thought alpine white was POWT?

Yep I thought it was P0WT too. Halfrauds dont do a P0WT for Peugeot but oddly enough its listed under Citroen.... Go figure.

jackherer

According to Paintguy only the last two letters are actually relevant, so WT in this case.

Tom Fenton

Halfords paint is poor in my experience, go to a paint factor and they will take colour chips out to compare with your car, then mix up to suit. The place I go to then dips into the paint and compares that to the colour of your car, and tweaks it if required.

If you are in Worcester go to the Paint Shop which is behind Isaac Maddox House down the hill from Shrub Hill station.

toddydal

on the car it is powt,but the code for most bodyshops is ewt,you replace the o with e,and the name is blanc meiji,but thats the french name and i cant ever remember painting 205s in the late 80s,early 90s any other white than powt(ewt).the newer peugeot/citreons are alot whiter and that code is ewp blanc banquise,like i said ther is probly 10 or more shades of powt and thats why you cant get a good match,if you go to a body shop they will get all the differnt variants of that colour and cheq them against your car and pick the 1 thats the closest to your car

Paintguy
According to Paintguy only the last two letters are actually relevant, so WT in this case.

Yep :lol:

As toddydal will tell you, that is a slightly simplified description, but it's the last two letters that really matter.

And, as I've said before and as he has also mentioned, that still isn't the end of it though unfotunately, as almost all colours have shade variations, making an off-the-shelf colour match a bit of a lottery.

Sign in to follow this