• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Batfink

[race_prep] 205 Racing Car Build

hman205

http://racing-stuff.com/gearbox.htm have you tried these people?

Also these people who are selling a few touring cars inc a 405

Parts gearboxes Hewland Touringcars 96-98

gears, bearings, diffs. spare parts, carters

info@touringcartrophy.com

Edited by hman205

Batfink

I dont believe Touringcartrophy have any more peugeot bits as he sold it all as a job lot to someone. I've tried contacting that person but havent been able to get in touch.

Actually i've just seen the advert and i am sure that is the email address for the guy who bought all the parts. 50k euros is a bit steep though i'll see if he has any parts going spare...

Edited by Batfink

Batfink

well after a worrying moment things are looking up.

Colin seems happier with the gearbox now. The gearbox is now with someone who will weld up the magnesium casing. He will also modify the diff cover to fit correctly so this means I dont have to source another. The magnesium makes it a lot harder to weld as if you do it wrong it catches fire lol

This now means the engine mounts can all be fabricated, the maniflow manifold modified to fit

Cage is virtually all in - cage through the front bulkhead is being done thursday and friday.

Shell is being lightened also.

Using a picture from Blackmi16's car build I've marked out where Colin thinks he can completely chop out!

CIMG1303.jpg

Does anyone know what a standard bare shell weighs???

I realise I havent posted any pictures so will have to sort some at the weekend

pdd144c

TCT no longer exist, after he ran off with the money he was given for selling a customers 190 EVO 2.

Batfink

finally uploaded some pictures!

Firstly the gearbox damage. The casing was bead blasted which revealed a few too many cracks. This is all getting welded up

gearbox_damage1.jpg

gearbox_damage2.jpg

and some corrosion

gearbox_damage3.jpg

gearbox_damage4.jpg

we think the gearbox was never repaired properly and only got a trackside repair to keep the car in the race.

Now for some progress!! :)

The front basic cage welded and ready to be pushed up into position

rollcage1.jpg

and the new rear turrets ready to be linked to the cage. You can see some of the patches of rust that have had to be dealt with. Bulkhead will be seam welded. The rest of the shell doesnt really need it due to the extensive cage.

rear_turrets1.jpg

rear_turrets2.jpg

from this picture you can see just how much metal will be removed from the boot area! All the inner skin will be removed from around the wheel arches.

getting there :excl:

work should progress quickly so i'll update hopefully this week. I think Colin has some more progress pictures.

Edited by Batfink

Dj_mini

Iv cut alot out and it still seems to be strong enough not to cause problems i found the heavy parts to be in the roof structure around the catches so ripped all that out aswell ;)

205now002.jpg

205now003.jpg

cybernck

isn't this Batfink's car? i'm confused :blush:.

Sandy

No it's Dan's (DJmini), similar colour and work.

Batfink

Dan I like what you've done with the panel running along the roofline!

Dan's is pretty similar to mine though I don't know the complete spec. I think i'm getting a more severe diet on the shell as my series rules allow me to do pretty much anything I like. My plan is to get the car down to 680kg which is the minimum weight for the engine capacity.

Colin does the rear suspension slightly different to Mark Shillaber (who built mine on the old rallye shell) so if you are observant you can notice the slight difference in the top mount of the rear turret :blush:

cybernck

ah well, Dan please start your own topic then :huh:.

Batfink

The cage is now done and the front suspension is ready to be bolted on. Now its time for me to pay the first bill and let colin start on the engine mounts!

Batfink

picture update :wacko:

rear cage all in place and linked nicely to the rear turrets

rear_cage1.jpg

and step by step to linking the cage to the front struts

welded in strengthening plate. Cage triangulation comes through the bulkhead and wheelarch.

front_strut1.jpg

link them all together :D

front_strut2.jpg

weld...and its done!

front_strut3.jpg

I think colin intends to put the dry sump tank where the original heating fan would suck in from the scuttlepanel. Theres a nice big hole already and this will keep the heavy pipework to a minimum, saving a bit of weight..

Front suspension will go on to allow the engine to be put in and the custom enginemounts fabricated

Its amazing how long all this takes to get right :D around 45 man hours on the shell so far not including what Colin has spent building the front suspension up!

All going well though. Colin hasn't started trimming lots off the shell yet though I quite fancy popping down and helping for that part. Anglegrinders and cutter wheels are great fun :D

cybernck - does this count as a large scale project yet :D

Edited by Batfink

kate205gti

v good - more pics B) and just eat less pies?? :)

DrSarty

Leaving a thrust bearing out'll save about 36.4g B) .

Brilliant work Kev, Mark & Colin. I'm pretty tasty with an angle grinder, well anything destructive really :) .

:D

Batfink

Rich I certainly have a few areas targetted for anglegrinder attack when I get it back. I'll save a set of safety goggles for you.

Emmy Seize

What is the benefit of having those turrets at the rear?

I allways thought that attaching the cage to the rear beam mounts was best?

Batfink

the turrets allow the use of coilovers which will be very handy for racing so spring rates and ride height can be tailored to each track. The other benefit is it allows 1:1 movement between the damper and trailing arm.

I've not really had the pleasure of comparing the setup to a car with uprated torsion bars/high quality dampers back to back so its hard to say theres a definite time advantage to going this route but I like the adjustability of coilovers and the predictable handling characteristics. Lift off oversteer is banished somewhat as the rear seems to cope better under weight transfer.

Batfink

progress!!!

looking rather tasty!

102_0857.jpg

daveholman

I realise it was a while ago now but in case you didn't sort your gear casings, touring car spares currently have the gearbox casing and diff casing for sale. It's for a 406 6 speed sequential so I don't know if it's what you need but I just thought I'd mention it.

Edited by daveholman

Batfink

thanks for the heads up but Tony has an Xtrac casing. Mines Hewland. With a bit of welding and powdercoating we will be rescuing the casings i have :wacko:

Dj_mini

Iv just done exactly the same front set up with the struts brace in mine lol! Did that come as part of the kit or did colin make it up? I couldnt get a cross brace in like yours as im still using a servo.

Batfink

colin made it up. I've let him go to town a bit and pretty much do what he likes so its quite exciting when he sends an update to me :wacko: The series rules i'm building the car are relaxed enough that we can let our imaginationrun loose.

I think i will be going with floor mounted pedals. I love that in my bmw and use them in the karting now so its what I feel at home with. Certainly not sure I can go back to standard style as its so easy to heal and toe and trailbrake

Colins going to get the anglegrinder out shortly so the interior will have a substantial diet :ph34r:

Edited by Batfink

richystran

Hay there mate wat build you have on ur hands there, im in the middle of building a 205 for racing to im very intersted in the cage you have

the way in goes thought the bulkhead an wheelarch i would love 2 c a close in pic of how the two join up at the top of the strut cuz im building a cage of

my own and im looking to do that, you running a mi16 lump in ur car im building an engine for mine using an 2.0 405 sri bottom end and a mi16 head with a set of bike trottle bodies how that sound two you mate will it be ok. do you have any gdpointer two do two my car.

thank richy

Batfink

this post here has pictures of the front bulkhead bars poking through :wacko:

I'm fitting an mi16 engine currently but a hybrid mix will be going in at a later date as I will be destroking the engine as otherwise i would be racing ex-supertouring cars and quite frankly i havent got the money or the skill to compete against that caliber of driving/car.

What series are you going to run in? just double check you can run with the cage linked to the struts as some series dont allow it.

With your engine, whats the compression like with simply bolting on the mi16 head?

Edited by Batfink

phatgti

This for the EuroSaloons Kev?

I like the look of it.

I dont think you need to go to the expense of different springs for different circuits, once you have it sprung right you'll be able to adjust handling via the geometry, tyre pressures and shock settings.