• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Batfink

[race_prep] 205 Racing Car Build

Batfink

After four years of collecting parts I finally dragged my car out of the garage

I stripped the enginebay completely and most of the interior and dragged the rolling shell down to Colin Satchell for the work.

I have broken my brothers 205 for parts and taken the suspension for my new car. Thats Leda coilovers all round and a customised rear 309 beam - built initially by Mark Shillaber. Initially it will run 280lb fronts and 180lb rears to get the car rolling but this will be a development area later on as the new wider track will work the springs harder.

Colin has already modified a subframe and its been shotblasted and painted so is ready to fit. It looks 10x stronger than an original one but in the excitement I forgot to take a picture

First the cage and suspension will be fitted and then we will be looking at how the sequential gearbox will fit as at the minute we are unsure whether there will need to be further chassis and subframe modification. Good news is the gearbox will whine

as it has a straight cut final drive so Colins recommended good ear plugs.

The car before I ripped it apart!

old_driveway.jpg

I'll upload its current state off my phone shortly. It looks sad

Edited by Batfink

Mandic

Finally!

Can't wait to see the progress.

Cheers

Ziga

Sloppy

looks like a good car to start with chief.

Dj_mini

looks like there is going to alot of colin's handy work going around this year :ph34r:

stevec205gti

Good stuff - have you any ideas how many cars and forums I've been through whilst you've been collecting the bits for this??? :(

Looking forward to the progress pic's

kate205gti

lol it used to be good! get it back on the road!! :)

some pics from 2003.. :)

DSC02588.jpg

^^ theres momo behind :D

DSC02121-1.jpg

DSC02586.jpg

DSCN2784.jpg

Big_Jimbob

I love that lower splitter.... where can i get one??

thanks

Jim

Batfink

Hi Jim. I believe it is available from Peugeot Ecosse

It might be called the Equiss front splitter but dont quote me lol

As ever with such a grand plan problems have already arrisen. The differential cover supplied with the gearbox is not the correct part. It seems there were two final drives available for hewland boxes and my gearbox takes the smaller item and smaller cover, yet I have the larger cover. As casings are very rare for the HP2000 gearbox it looks like the casing will have to be cut and rewelded. Problem is the part will most likely warp so will need a skim.

DrSarty

Remember that if you need a hand Kev, I'm about and most likely owe you anyway. :blink:

Batfink

i'm sure I can put you to good use :blink: Will be a while before I get the car back though!

Batfink

PM ashley peddle to see if he still has is as I sold it to him. Going on that price I should have charged more, though it was damaged..

Batfink

Well thought i'd update.

The good news is the cage goes in this week.

The bad news is the sequential gearbox casings are in a word... f***ed

They have been bead blasted to reveal a number of issues. The clutch housing was known to need a load of work as a clutch had gone through the casing and it had been repaired with metal putty.

The news over the weekend was the layshaft main bearing had broken and gone through the bellhousing too so this is going to be a tricky repair. There is also some corrosion though I am waiting for pictures before deciding what we do. I believe it will be able to be repaired but at what cost I do not know. To be honest its bloody annoying that people have neglected to maintain properly a rare gearbox.

I've been offered a 405 touring car complete with spares which could be interesting though I have no details just yet other than it comes with the hewland and a spare xtrac box. I may buy it for the hewland then sell it on again after with the xtrac fitted.

Edited by Batfink

Baz

Looks very interesting, about time! :) Will be good to see the stages of the build! B)

Ooh, 405 TC sounds interesting too!!

Powers

Sorry to hear about the rather annoying news. Hopefully it wont be too expensive to fix.

Batfink

well I expected some issues but not the casings themselves. I'm probably at the point where I just have to bite the bullet and continue having purchased virtually every other part i need for the conversion it would be a shame to give up now. I guess in the back of my mind if it still ends up cheaper than a new gearbox then it will be worth it lol but its an expensive risk when the outcome is not as clear anymore

base-1
I've been offered a 405 touring car complete with spares which could be interesting though I have no details just yet other than it comes with the hewland and a spare xtrac box. I may buy it for the hewland then sell it on again after with the xtrac fitted.

Fcuk me sideways, you must have some serious cash these days lol :)

Batfink

two jobs and 16 hour days helps lol

Dj_mini

Colin showed me the castings on sat they realy did look in poor condition and needing a fair bit of work :blush: how much would a new one cost?

Batfink

you cant get them anymore at all. The castings are lost to the ether with no-one able to remember who has them.

I knew one casting was completely knackered but i'm hoping the other can be rescued. I guess they look a lot worse now they have been bead blasted.

Batfink

Colin says he can fix the casing but he is worried that if something goes wrong again then the situation is terminal as the casings are like rocking horse poo and its unlikely I will get another. Couldnt download the pictures so will have more time to ponder the issue. Hopefully I can get this complete gearbox from this 405, but will have to wait till next week to know that situation.

K.

cybernck

i wouldn't mind some bits off the 405 TC! :blush:

Sandy

I really would strongly advise another route Kev. You could well end up ploughing alot of money into this box, for no definite benefit and then lose it all if something goes wrong. I just don't think it's realistically going to help you in the long run.

Batfink

problem is I have virtually every bit i need so I could argue that the money has already been spent. The gearboxes were always going to need work and I budgeted for that, I just wasent expecting the casings to need so much doing.

I need to see the pictures anyway!

cybernck - fancy a whole car?? :blush: