• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish210

Dismantling Steering Rack

swordfish210

Hi, i'v got a Quaife quickrack to fit but i dont know how to dismantle the steering rack to fit it so can anyone here provide me with a "101 guide" on how to pull apart the stering rack to fit a quickrack. Thanks

Alan_M

I've just stripped a rack for the same reason, except my quickrack kit is from somebody else.

First, you need to remove the TRE's and Track-Rods. I used a set of stilsons on the track-rods. Keep all the washers etc.

Then, you need to remove the pinion by undoing the two 13mm? bolts on the back of the steering rack body. There is a little spring, a couple of washers and a white, plastic thing in there. Remember which way round they go. Then, remove rubber cover from top of pinion and using a pair of circlip pliers, remove circlip. The pinion should pull out with a little wiggling.

I don't know how yours comes, but I had to put a new bearing on my pinion. The bearing already present cannot be removed without heat treatment and a drift. Better off replacing with new one.

Onto the main rack body, on one end there is another circlip which needs removing and thats about it. The rack should pull out.

On one end of the rack there is a little plastic bearing which tends to collapse under hard conditions, and I bought a phosphur bronze replacement for it from WMMS. Also took the oppurtunity to replace the trackrods and TRE's with new items.

If you are still confused, I am actually putting mine all back together tomorrow, so can take a few pics :)

Mandic

LOL, just wanted to ask exact same thing yesterday.

swordfish210, can You please check diamater of Quaife rack, is it 24mm? Also, can You measure total length and how many teeth does it have and how long is that part of the rod/rack which has teeth.

Can You check diameter and again how many teeth has that gear, which is connected to steering column, which moves the rack.

I'd appreciate if You can take some pics as well.

Many thanks!

Ziga

swordfish210

Alan: excellent guide mate, thanks very much. I'm off to the garage in a minute to have another go at the rack so i should be able to do it this time with this new info :)

Mandic: I'll get those measurements to you tonight (i'll just post them here) all i can tell you now is that the Quaife rack has 2.78 turns lock to lock

Mandic

Ok, thanks.

Simes

Alan,

A picture guide could be useful on the main site :ph34r::D

swordfish210

Hi, i had a go at this again and i managed to get the pinion gear out but i cant get the track control arms off. Any more advice on how to? Another thing i discovered was that the quaife rack was supplied with a Bronze phospher bush which i assumed was a replacement for the bearing on the pinion but it's a completly different size. Anyone know what it might be for????????

Mandic
There are washers that slide onto the rack. The track rods are then screwed on, and the locking tabs on the washers are bent over onto the track rod arms to secure them. So you need to bend the tabs back (they might well snap) and then you can unscrew them with some Stilsons.

Cheers

Ziga

Alan_M
Hi, i had a go at this again and i managed to get the pinion gear out but i cant get the track control arms off. Any more advice on how to? Another thing i discovered was that the quaife rack was supplied with a Bronze phospher bush which i assumed was a replacement for the bearing on the pinion but it's a completly different size. Anyone know what it might be for????????

hat bush will be to replace the bush on the rack body. On one end of the rack body, you can see a grey round bush. Pulls out easy enough with a pair of pliers, and swop with bronze bush. The grey bush collapses under hard use apparently. You may need to grind it down a little to fir the rack through it though. I found a Dremel quite useful for this.

A pair of Stilsons will get the arms off.

Mandic

swordfish,

Any news about those measurements?

Thanks

Ziga

swordfish210

damm it, sorry mate i got the rack apart today and i was so happy that i actually got it apart i just put the new stuff in without measuring it for you. If ou give Quiafe a ring though i'm sure they would be happy to give you the tech specs of the rack

swordfish210

i forgot to add, i couldnt get the old bearing from the stock pinion so iwent to the local bearing supply place and the said that it was a bastar size and the didnt have it in stock so they phoned a couple of places and the couldnt get them either. Where do you gys get your bearing from for the pinion?

Mandic

Can You just measure OE part? Rack and that cog which turns the rack.

Need to know rack diameter and how long is that part which has gears on the rack, also diamater of that cog.

Thanks

Ziga

Alan_M
i forgot to add, i couldnt get the old bearing from the stock pinion so iwent to the local bearing supply place and the said that it was a bastar size and the didnt have it in stock so they phoned a couple of places and the couldnt get them either. Where do you gys get your bearing from for the pinion?

The bearing on the pinion will not come off without heat treatment and a drift. I tried with a set of hydraulic pullers and it did'nt budge!

The new pinion had a different design, albeit a better one. The bearing slides on and holds in place by a simple circlip.

Swordfish, If you are desperate I can get you one tomorrow but you will have to give it a few days for postage, OK? Its not the perfect fit, about 99% in fact but it does go in, well mine does!

I'm actually finishing putting mine together today. One thing I have noticed is that it is bloody heavy to turn :wub:

swordfish210

thanks, i'll take a trip down to the Peugeot garage this afternoon and see if i can order a new one.

Alan_M

Swordfish210,

I stuck a bearing in the post for you, sorry its a bit late. Should'nt cost you though ;)

I've taken a few pics of what I can as the rack is now 80% complete, with only the arms and TRE's to go on. Had to wait for some new gaitors that turned up today.

So will try and do a guide :blush:

One thing, its f*****g hard to turn!

swordfish210

Hi alan, eah i recived the bearing, many thanks but unfourtanatly you sent me the wrong one. It's a 6002 bearing and it doesnt even come close to fitting. Did you mean to send me a 6003?

Alan_M
Hi alan, eah i recived the bearing, many thanks but unfourtanatly you sent me the wrong one. It's a 6002 bearing and it doesnt even come close to fitting. Did you mean to send me a 6003?

I'm sure thats what I used on mine. I shall double check later.

Alan_M

Yep, mines a 6002 as well. Fitted fine and the rack is now practically complete.

Is yours a square or spline type pinion though? The 6002 should fit the spline type.

swordfish210

ah ha, i have a flat drive type...i probably should have told you that before you went through all of that trouble :blush: sorry. I measured the pinion yeasterday and the OD is 19.05mm.....WHY COULDNT THEY MAKE IT 19MM SO THAT I COULD GET A BEARING TO FIT!!!!!!!!! :unsure::angry::angry: I'm going to ring quaife tomorrow and see what bearing they recomend and if they dont give me a straight awnser i'm probably going to flip out :)

welshpug

can you not turn it down 0.05mm?

swordfish210

i sure can but thats not really the point...it's the principals of the matter, why wasnt it that extra .05mm thinner when i bought it :)

Alan_M
ah ha, i have a flat drive type...i probably should have told you that before you went through all of that trouble :blush: sorry. I measured the pinion yeasterday and the OD is 19.05mm.....WHY COULDNT THEY MAKE IT 19MM SO THAT I COULD GET A BEARING TO FIT!!!!!!!!! :unsure::angry::angry: I'm going to ring quaife tomorrow and see what bearing they recomend and if they dont give me a straight awnser i'm probably going to flip out :)

If I remember, when I go into work on Friday night, I'll take a square pinion with me and see if we've got anything on the shelf :)

Sign in to follow this