• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CaptainK

Simple Mods For My Gti6 205

CaptainK

Now I have my base GTi6 engine in my 205, I'm looking at doing some minor mods to push up the power.

What are "the usual" mods that people do to these engines? I'm not talking mega power or mega bucks, just the little things you do first in modding a car.

I currently have on the engine: K&N 57i kit and a Stainless Powerflow exhaust. I'll be having a "custom" hi-flow CAT put on it shortly. I know decat is preferred, but mine is a 1993 model and I want to keep it legal.

Thanks. :)

Super Josh

If it were me, I would get hold of a second hand inlet cam and send it over to PeterT in Australia for him to reprofile it to either stage I or II grind. I think he charges AUS$180 + Postage (That's around £82 + Postage :) ).

The standard ECU should cope with the Stage I and you would need a remap (Chipwizards charge £400 + VAT) for the stage II one. I'm sure Peter will correct me if I've got any of this wrong :D

Josh

James_R

the most cost effective way to going faster would be a diff??

no need for a cat, just say the engine's from a H plate 405, and make up a recipt for it, chapter 6.4 in the MOT test manual says if the engine's earlier than the car test to the engine and if the car's older than the engine test to the car, basically oldest of the two, so just say it's that an save yourself a packet :)

CaptainK

Posting cams around and so forth sounds a bit of hassle. Are there any known good "off the shelf" cams I could buy?

As for the Decat, I have considered faking it and other such ongoings, but to be honest I want to see what I can do without decatting my car. Trying to do my bit for the environment and stuff. That and I've always wanted to know if a sports cat makes any difference over standard cat. So I've already got a sports cat and intend to do back to back rolling road comparisons. As I've also bought the thing it may as well go on there now. ;)

damien

kent pt81 (oe is it pt18?) and a remap

danpug

First of all get used to your car and learn fully how it behaves (trackdays are perfect for this), i know its not really answering your question but its the best way to make your car quicker. I would just save for more 'serious' modifications if i was you, what you have done so far is about all you can do without spending substantial money.

keith
Posting cams around and so forth sounds a bit of hassle. Are there any known good "off the shelf" cams I could buy?

trust me, doing this is going to save you a hell of a lot of money. piper cams will set you back £475 new.

£82 + postage (roughly £20-40) is a great deal, and you only need the inlet cam changed.

there's a great thread on aussiefrogs, some guy called Magic has built up an engine doing this and putting out some great power!

180+ bhp is quite achievable,

best to speak to petert i'm sure he'll be happy to help.

Edited by keith

petert

The best cam to regrind for a GTi6 is the XU10J4R cam. Either the exhaust or inlet can be reground to use on the inlet, as they're basically identical. That's what we used for Magic's car. I have a spare cam which you can have for $250 outright if you like. Add $58 for postage, for a total of $308 (approx. 130GBP?)

the fonze

get uprated bushes/engine mounts etc all round and think about replacing anything thats worn such as gear linkages/steering racks etc will make it much more enjoyable than a little more power

CaptainK

So it sounds like I've already done the "usual" mods for a GTi6 engine already then without going manic on it. It was just the little improvements I was looking for. :)

I'll be saving some money for now and getting used to the GTi6 power. Then I'll either buy a house or blow it on another unnecessary car project. :)

The best cam to regrind for a GTi6 is the XU10J4R cam. Either the exhaust or inlet can be reground to use on the inlet, as they're basically identical. That's what we used for Magic's car. I have a spare cam which you can have for $250 outright if you like. Add $58 for postage, for a total of $308 (approx. 130GBP?)

Awwww.... sounds interesting. Is this cam you have on offer already reground ? But as said above, I'm not looking for big stuff at the moment. I'm still a little broke after getting the GTi6 upgrade.

kyepan

get a diff.. then plant the go pedal and hold on. ..

stiffer rear anti roll bar, or better stiffer rear torsion brs.

Alastairh
get a diff.. then plant the go pedal and hold on. ..

stiffer rear anti roll bar, or better stiffer rear torsion brs.

Agreed. I've done the above mods with my 205s and along with experimenting different tyres, deffinatly some of the best well spent cash i spent on my car for driveability and grinability :)

jackherer

You should definitely get a diff before you get any more power.

CaptainK

Something like the quaiffe LSD then ? How much is one of those going to set me back? As I mentioned I'm just looking for ideas at the moment and saving money for whatever next mod I go for. :lol:

jackherer

A Quaiffe is ideal for a car that is used on the road. They aren't cheap but worth every penny.

CaptainK
A Quaiffe is ideal for a car that is used on the road. They aren't cheap but worth every penny.

Mainly used on the road, also some trackdays.

What other diffs do people recommend? And how much is a Quaiffe?

welshpug

circa £550.

CaptainK
circa £550.

;) Ouch! Maybe I won't go with a quaiffe then.

Any other decent LSDs out there? No officer, not THAT type.... :D

Tom Fenton

Any LSD will set you back that kind of money. There are other types but they are more suited to gravel rallying or circuit racing and you will find them harsh and noisy on the road. For a road car that does some track days you cannot beat the Quaife, says the man who has one in his 205 Mi16.

whizzer71
As for the Decat, I have considered faking it and other such ongoings, but to be honest I want to see what I can do without decatting my car. Trying to do my bit for the environment and stuff. That and I've always wanted to know if a sports cat makes any difference over standard cat. So I've already got a sports cat and intend to do back to back rolling road comparisons. As I've also bought the thing it may as well go on there now. :D

Junk the stupid thing !,I did a "back to back" test on mine with and without cat far lairier without the torque robbing power restricting device,far quicker throttle response and better mid range too !,I hate them, emission regulations URGH!!!! what about all the fuel that gets dumped in the sky from jet liners ?????

;)

As for cams Kent do the pair through the "Back door" for around £150 cash gives good results as well,we got my mates cams done for his 205 Gti6 we saw 182 Bhp on Emeralds rollers running std management without cat.

Worth the money and the effort

:D

Edited by whizzer71

Alastairh

Kaaz plate diffs are around £450. But trust me, worth every penny...

CaptainK
Junk the stupid thing !,I did a "back to back" test on mine with and without cat far lairier without the torque robbing power restricting device,far quicker throttle response and better mid range too !,I hate them, emission regulations URGH!!!!

I have already done that on my FTO as its legal to do so and yes I agree with you that the low revs performance is much better. BUT, as its illegal for my 1993 GTi to not have a CAT I think its far easier this way. I'm also doing my bit for the environment and if the sports cat performs well I might consider putting one on the FTO. I'm just experimenting - I'm going to be doing back to back comparisons on a rolling road when I have all the CATs and a decat pipe.

pj838

So its only if the car had a cat to start with that it has to have one with the 6 engine also?

GLPoomobile
So its only if the car had a cat to start with that it has to have one with the 6 engine also?

Whichever is older, shell or engine.

In this case I assume CaptainK has a 93 reg shell, so since both shell and engine require testing with a Cat, then that's what has to happen. If he'd stuck a pre cat engine in he wouldn't need a cat, so long as he could prove the age of the engine. Likewise, if you stick the 6 engine (or any cat equipped engine) in a pre cat shell then you don't need the cat.

Sign in to follow this