• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ACJ

Mot Fail

Guest ACJ

Just had the good fortune to find out I need the following to pass the MOT;

Rear cylinders

Rear Brake shoes

Hand Break cable

ALL brake pipes

x2 Front track rod ends

x2 Front shock absorbers

best place to get hold of spares ?

are they easy jobs to do ?

thanks

welshpug

most of the above can be sourced from any Motor factor, buit to get somethign that'll be closer to the manufacturers original spec you need to use a supplier like Euro car parts or GSF, or there's a place near london called Neat auto's.

steve@cornwall

ALL brake pipes? - anyone else find it difficult to believe that all pipes have gone in 12 months? Do you trust the tester?

Guest ACJ

apperently when they were testing the breaks on the R Road the rear pipes burst due to corrosion and consequently the car now has zero fluid in system !!

are Pugspares any good ? found most of the stuff cheaper than what garage has quoted !

welshpug

Pugspares apparently get all their parts from GSF, so go direct IMO.

by all the brake pipes I guess you mean all 4 flexi pipes, so about 6-7 quid each IIRC.

wheel cylinders around a tenner or less, and brake shoes about £15-20 a set.

hand brake cables about £7-8 each (buy both, daft to fit just the one)

rod ends around the tenner mark again, and drop links about £15.

for all that I'd use GSF and ECP.

GSF do original equipment brake parts, and ECP do Lemforder suspension parts if you ask for it.

Jrod

I've had a few bad experiences with GSF, A clutch that lasted about 1000 miles and wheel bearings that had enough play in they were picked up on the mot after being fitted a few days before.

M_R_205

i think id be looking for a seccond opinion.... iv used pug spares and there quite fast, decent stuff too, but if possible a local motor discount would be better, faster, easier returns etc etc...

Simes
apperently when they were testing the breaks on the R Road the rear pipes burst due to corrosion and consequently the car now has zero fluid in system !!

are Pugspares any good ? found most of the stuff cheaper than what garage has quoted !

If you mean the original steel pipes then personally I would replace the whole lot using a www.automec.co.uk kit which I did last year, these kits are cut to the right length and have all fittings on them.

However I suspect you could get away with replacing the failed section and then pumping a lot of fluid through, which you'd do anyway to bleed and clean the debris out. This would mean flaring you own ends etc.

If it's just the flexi's then these are a piece of piss to change, the braided kit for the 1.9 is around £60 for all 6.

If doing track rod ends you will need to get your car 'tracked' again at a garage unless you've got the equipment, the rest of those jobs are pretty straight forward. For the shocks you'll need a pair of spring compressors for the job, otherwise you could end up with a broken chin.

Edited by Simes

Guest ACJ

thanks for the advice so far guys - checking out my local motor factor company today to see what price I can get; will try and get the full MOT list from the garage for your viewing pleasure !!!! :)

GLPoomobile

How does a burst rear wipe make the entire brake pipe system a failure?

F it's a flexi pipe you need to replace, it's worth bearing in mind that the unions could be corroded. Soak in Plusgas before loosening, but if they are still seized you may find you'll need to replace the metal pipe joing to it as well.

As for Automec, you can get an individual pipe rather than the whole kit. It will be the right length and have fittings, so ll you need to do is bend it to shape, which is easy. I'd rather pay the bit extra for that than make my own pipes, personally.

Tom Fenton

I wouldn't be suprised if all the brake pipes are ready for changing. How old is the car? If it is a 1990 or earlier then from 3 or 4 cars I've owned or worked on the brake pipes most likely WILL be very corroded and ready for changing. Unfortunately its a pain of a job, as you will try and replace just one section, and end up doing the bloody lot as none of it will come undone etc.

I've just done it on my 1990 1.6, it is a bit awkward in places but otherwise not horrendously difficult, I fitted a Goodridge stainless braided flexi hose kit at the same time so I'll never have to go back to them.

Guest ACJ

it is a 1990 1.6 so more than likely will have to give the old girl a break pipe overhaul !!!

Guest ACJ

more q's for you !

on the MOT I have the n/s rear wheel cylinder leaking - does this mean I have to replace all the rear brakes etc, and can some kind sole please list exactly what I would need to replace on both o/s and n/s rear brakes on a '90 1.6

thanks

Adam

Tom Fenton

If the n/s wheel cyl is leaking then you obviously need to replace that wheel cyl. You will also need to replace the shoes on that side as they will be contaminated with fluid, and it is good practise to always change brake friction components in pairs, so you will also change the shoes on the other side too.

Given the price of wheel cylinders is not expensive, my advice would be to change the other side one that is not currently leaking, as it that one did start to leak you will be changing all the shoes again.

You will have to inspect the brake drum and decide for yourself if they need changing, usually they will be OK as they don't do an awful lot of work on the rear of a 205.

welshpug

depends if the shoes were contaminated, I've replaced many a wheel cylinder without having to do the shoes, but if it has been spotted at test its quite likely to have got everywhere ;)

M_R_205

I found it easier replacing the whole back plates (only cost a tenner each with pads springs etc) wheel cylinders are around the same price a tenner each,

looks like you have your work cut out with that little lot! Though when its all done it should be fine for many a year ;)

Rob_the_Sparky
I've had a few bad experiences with GSF, A clutch that lasted about 1000 miles and wheel bearings that had enough play in they were picked up on the mot after being fitted a few days before.

Odd as I've used them for years with no similar problems, including 2 clutch kits. Sure they sometimes suplpy the wrong parts (some prat labels the boxes wrong in their stores system, guys on the counter are always helpful) so you have to be on the ball but never had a failure like that.

Guest ACJ

Thanks Tom - off to trawl for yet more various parts to keep me going next Saturday then; have decided to let the garage do all the brake pipes as I have no ramp at home. They will be doing this after all the other work has been completed (hopefully)

Adam

Guest ACJ

Rear brake shoes - I take it I need the Girling system ie "sprung" ???

Sign in to follow this