• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Super Josh

Bearing Type Whine From The Cambelt End Of The Engine

Super Josh

My Mi has a whine from the cambelt end of the engine. It only does it when the engine is warm and it stops when the revs get below around 2K.

Initially I thought it was either a cambelt tensioner or waterpump bearing on its way out.

I've changed all of these and it still makes the noise. Does anyone have any more ideas? Or a good way of diagnosing the problem? :lol:

Cheers,

Josh

Anthony

Have you run the car without the alternator belt attached to check it's not the alternator or aircon pump bearings on their way out?

The cambelt isn't over-tightened either is it, as that'll case it to whine noticeably (although it's usually constant)?

Super Josh

Very valid points, as ever Anthony (and a quick reply too :lol: )

Have you run the car without the alternator belt attached to check it's not the alternator or aircon pump bearings on their way out?

Yep, should have made this clear, was the first test that I did, along with removing the PAS belt too, just for completeness.

The cambelt isn't over-tightened either is it, as that'll case it to whine noticeably (although it's usually constant)?

The whine is the same as before I changed the belt/tensioners and waterpump. So this leads me to believe that it can't really be the cambelt. And as you say, an over tensioned belt is usually a continous whine and usually quite prominent at low revs.

Josh

James_R

have you checked the timing belt cover isn't catching anywhere? or the lower cover??

doesn' leave much to whinge after the above's been checked :s

Super Josh

Could the Crank or Camshaft seals make this kind if noise?

Josh

C_W

Who tensioned the cambelt before you redid it? As I find they whine quite easily if that little bit too tight.

Super Josh
Who tensioned the cambelt before you redid it? As I find they whine quite easily if that little bit too tight.

Hear what you say Chris, but the old belt was in there for 20K without a hitch and the note hasn't changed at all since fitting the new 'belt either.

Josh

gti_al

Mine is weird too josh... i thought it was the dodgy waterpump, but it was still doing it after replacing that. Mine whines from about 4000rpm when hot

I've got no idea what to look for now though, as there isn't much else it can be

Edited by gti_al

Stu

How strange, mine does exactly the same, i too thought it might have been a tensioners but im not so sure now.

Ill still check the belt tension when i get five, but i thought it weird as it only does it when its hot.

Alastairh

Do you have access to another tensioner?

A friend of mine done a head swap on a tu 306 last weekend, and couldn't stop it to whine for s*it. After lots of adjustment we put the old tensioner on and turned out the new one was a bit of a dud.

Not saying thats the answer, but worth considering...

Al

Sign in to follow this