• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shooter mcgavin

Xsara Vts Gearbox,whats Needed

shooter mcgavin

almost ready to fit my 6 engine and 5 speed vts box,before i start what will i need to run this box?

are the linkages the same? do i need to retain any parts from the 1.9 box ie fork lever ect

will be using the gti6 clutch cable as most on here say it works the best

chances are it will make sence when i got to hook it all up,just fancied a heads up on parts before i start

cheers

whizzer71
almost ready to fit my 6 engine and 5 speed vts box,before i start what will i need to run this box?

are the linkages the same? do i need to retain any parts from the 1.9 box ie fork lever ect

will be using the gti6 clutch cable as most on here say it works the best

chances are it will make sence when i got to hook it all up,just fancied a heads up on parts before i start

cheers

You have to use the flat relay arm off the top off the Gti box,and pref a modified standard Gti clutch cable (89>),Gti 6 clutch cable doesn't work (well in my own experience),try to use the original reverse pull clutch set up,its a real decent clutch !,swap the speedo drive from your original box also.

Otherwise its just a simple bolt on affair and away you go,If you get stuck then PM me and Ill send you some pics of the modded clutch cable.

:)

whizzer71

Hope these help

whizzer71

And these ones

pete1986

I have a vts gearbox coupled with an mi. Had it on there for a few weeks now and it feels really good and strong, nice smoooooth gear changes, doesnt even crunch into second when you're really giving it some...

shooter mcgavin

i have been running it in my gti6 for a while really good box

did you have to change the lever on the box too?

taylorspug

I put this gearbox in Petes car, and seeing as it was an MI engine with push type clutch, i changed the lever for a GTI spec push type item. However on my '6 205 which will also be running a vts box, im planning to use the GTI-6 pull type clutch, so wont have to go to the trouble of changing everything over. :lol:

Obviously the gear selection fork needs changing for the 205 one aswell, as they are totally different shapes, but thats just a case of knocking out the roll pins and swapping it over. Dont let the shaft drop down into the box though!

shooter mcgavin

cheers guys, so its just the fork i need to change over to run a vts box with gti6 engine and clutch?

any pics of said fork? the pic above is not very clear

whizzer71

Its the cranked one in this picture,remove it and fit the flat one from your Gti Box (This box is from a Gti6 but I think the Xsara has the same levers on it)

welshpug

xsara VTS and diesel boxes are practically identical bar the end casings :D

Edited by welshpug

shooter mcgavin

spot on got it now, cheers fella

jonand

Dont let the shaft drop down into the box though!

I've just found this thread, after having just changed the levers - and having problems with gear selection !! I did notice that the shaft dropped slightly as I took the original cranked lever off - what's happened? and is it a stripdown to rectify ?

Thanks

Jon

whizzer71
Dont let the shaft drop down into the box though!

I've just found this thread, after having just changed the levers - and having problems with gear selection !! I did notice that the shaft dropped slightly as I took the original cranked lever off - what's happened? and is it a stripdown to rectify ?

Thanks

Jon

Yep that happend to me the first time I changed one too,just take the lever off again and gingerly let the shaft go back in a little way and re align it,once the lever is back on the shaft it shold be in line with the ribs in the casing (as per illustration).

A bit of trial and error and you should get it,once the shaft goes back in you can either side of the selector or smack bang where its supposed to be,Im sure you'll ace it !.

:unsure:

Edited by whizzer71

shooter mcgavin

easy easy easy!

managed it no probz cheers for the heads up

Sign in to follow this