• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

Passed Mot!

Ethos

Hi all,

Wow, very surprised! The 205 passed the MOT test (and only payed £35!!). The girlfriend is CHUFFED.

Just 2 advisories though;

Front to Rear brake pipe slightly corroded

and

Advise surface off side rear outer sill (some rust bubbles).

Any ideas on the cost of those? In no rush to get it done though unless either are serious.

Also I've just got some lower driving lamps, they say "halogen" on the front. Are these the driving lights or fog lights? :D

Ethos

Ok, well it seems 1 driving light isn't working... and 1 side of the car isn't working. Should be fun trying to fix that :)

steve@cornwall
Ok, well it seems 1 driving light isn't working... and 1 side of the car isn't working. Should be fun trying to fix that :)

Good news on the mot.

Pattern of the lamp lens will tell if it's fog or driving. also I think fog lights will usually have a shroud to deflect the light from the bulb which is absent on driving lights. If one is not working, follow the wiring up to the rear headlight area where it plugs into a yellow plug - most likely the contacts are corroded. Sidelight bulb holders are infamous for dying! If you can't get a new one, a good "temporary" fix is to wedge a matchstick or similar down between the bulb and the side of the holder (or nick one off my 1.1 before it gets scrapped :angry: )

Where did you get the MOT done? I have to find a new place as Kenwyn closes on Thursday for good :D I've got one booked at local HiQ as I know them there, but it's costing full price, which I haven't paid for MANY years :)

Ethos
Good news on the mot.

Pattern of the lamp lens will tell if it's fog or driving. also I think fog lights will usually have a shroud to deflect the light from the bulb which is absent on driving lights. If one is not working, follow the wiring up to the rear headlight area where it plugs into a yellow plug - most likely the contacts are corroded. Sidelight bulb holders are infamous for dying! If you can't get a new one, a good "temporary" fix is to wedge a matchstick or similar down between the bulb and the side of the holder (or nick one off my 1.1 before it gets scrapped :angry: )

Where did you get the MOT done? I have to find a new place as Kenwyn closes on Thursday for good :D I've got one booked at local HiQ as I know them there, but it's costing full price, which I haven't paid for MANY years :)

I went to is it national? The one just past the police station after the shell garage. My dad knows the guys in there, seem a good bunch. Can't say how chuffed I am, was expecting like £100+ of things to do!

Here are the lights (they do seem to have the cover over the bulb), the glass has polished up nice and I'm going to sand and hammerite the rims again! Oooh, is there anything else to get off the 1.1 before scraping? :)

dsc00059ex0.jpg

Edited by Ethos

steve@cornwall

Oooh, is there anything else to get off the 1.1 before scraping? :)

dsc00059ex0.jpg

Depends on whether I have to tow it out there, won't start anymore ( so I punctured the tank to remove about 5 gallons of petrol :) or wether it goes to the garage to be stripped and then removed by hiab! (I'll get scrap weight for the first, and pay for the second) There really isn't a lot in common with the gti LIght, doors switches and beam tube may be worth scavenging, I've had the lockset and ign. wiring, wipers and heater motor as mine packed up at the weekend. If you can think of anything you want, let me know - It will prob. get towed thi s week as this frees up the garage space which is needed for other things

PS don't throw away what's left of your original lights- Is at least one reflector, lens and rim still intact?

Edited by steve@cornwall

Ethos
Depends on whether I have to tow it out there, won't start anymore ( so I punctured the tank to remove about 5 gallons of petrol :) or wether it goes to the garage to be stripped and then removed by hiab! (I'll get scrap weight for the first, and pay for the second) There really isn't a lot in common with the gti LIght, doors switches and beam tube may be worth scavenging, I've had the lockset and ign. wiring, wipers and heater motor as mine packed up at the weekend. If you can think of anything you want, let me know - It will prob. get towed thi s week as this frees up the garage space which is needed for other things

PS don't throw away what's left of your original lights- Is at least one reflector, lens and rim still intact?

Do they look like fogs to you mate? :)

My orginal driving lights are shot really. One glass is smashed and the reflector has had it, the other has dodgy glass and again the reflector is shot. They seem a bit bigger than these new ones I've got too.

Going to clean them up this week and hopefully fit / fix in the weekend. (If I work out how to fix the 1 light and 1 side!).

Can't think of anything else right now from the 1.1!

steve@cornwall
Do they look like fogs to you mate? :lol:

My orginal driving lights are shot really. One glass is smashed and the reflector has had it, the other has dodgy glass and again the reflector is shot. They seem a bit bigger than these new ones I've got too.

Going to clean them up this week and hopefully fit / fix in the weekend. (If I work out how to fix the 1 light and 1 side!).

Can't think of anything else right now from the 1.1!

I think those are 106 lights and they look to me like fogs - but I may well be wrong on both counts :D

As long as the reflectors in the lights haven't crumbled with rust, I can re-build!!! Glass responds well to a long soak in vinegar and the reflectors are about 75% good with reflective ally tape - I want to experiment with making templates to cut those universal plastic stick-on mirror lenses so repair the reflectors - but don't want to wreck a good ''un!. It would be great to have a junk one to experiment with :D

I'll pinch the sidelight holders from Alf

Ethos
I think those are 106 lights and they look to me like fogs - but I may well be wrong on both counts :D

As long as the reflectors in the lights haven't crumbled with rust, I can re-build!!! Glass responds well to a long soak in vinegar and the reflectors are about 75% good with reflective ally tape - I want to experiment with making templates to cut those universal plastic stick-on mirror lenses so repair the reflectors - but don't want to wreck a good ''un!. It would be great to have a junk one to experiment with :lol:

I'll pinch the sidelight holders from Alf

106 fog lights!!!! The last thing I would want to put on the 205 :(

Might do these ones up and sell on again then, I want a proper set of driving lights on :D

If you are about this weekend I'll bring down the two old lights for you to play with... I'll double check though as I have a feeling they have a fair amount of rust on. (Actually just re-read your post and that doesn't matter!!).

Edited by Ethos

Sign in to follow this