• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skeggyrik

Torque Wrench

skeggyrik

Can anyone recommend me a decent torque wrench. I don't want to spend the earth on something I will only use every now and then but I want something that will do the job it is intended for. I'm turning the corner on and I will be putting things back together as opposed to taking them apart very soon, which includes the rebuild of the engine, so I need a torque wrench. I'm not about to go into the engine building business anytime soon, I just need a tool for this one build and the for use the odd time I will need to play with other bits.

How much should I spending on something that is suitable?

Any known "toys pretending to be tools" to avoid?

Ta

Rich

M@tt

Halfords pro one gets my thumbs up its accutare, lightweight and well made.

£50

not sure if thats above budget or not

or draper expert kit i've never had any problems with and always good value for money

Alastairh

I have used a Halfords pro one a couple weeks back for some head bolts that my mate bought on my trade card. Nothing to complain about. His was the 1/2 inch item that cost £40 so can't really go wrong :D

TurboSam

After snapping a head stud through using a cheap inaccurate torque wrench, I decided to get a good one.

Halfords professional are good value for money

I've got both, the big one and the small one

Although what ever make you get, make sure it has a calibration certificate, the cheap ones don't

Edited by TurboSam

skeggyrik

Thanks Guys. That sounds about right to me price wise.

All my other bits are Halfords Pro and that has been great so far, apart ftom the 55Torx snapping on the headbolts. Looking at it though, it was never up to the job.

Will get myself down to the big orange shop.

Cheers

Rich

ablister

do not get a cheap one as these are a false economy. Try to get the best you can afford that'll cover all the ranges that you need

ali

Grim.Badger

I got given a cheap one and gave it a try on my spare engine and decided it really is s**t.

I undid one of the main bearing shells and then did it back up using the torque wrench. I then, by feel only using a standard ratchet, felt how much pressure I could put on one of the other bearings before the bolt started to tighten some more and then went back to check the one I had done up; needless to say it wasn't anywhere near tight enough, I would say that it was barely more than finger tight tbh :D

Sign in to follow this