• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Tempremental Ignition System.

davemar

My Mi16 engine runs with the 8v ignition set-up, so while not perfect for the engine, is at least simple. Before I had my current issues with headgaskets and suchlike it did have a few failures over the past year with the ignition circuit just stopping for no obvious reason, leaving me stranded a couple of times.

Unfortunately it is still misbehaving itself after the engine rebuild (HG replacement at least). I've tried swapping the ignition amp and the coil, and tracked down a faulty ground connection which I fixed. But sometimes it works and sometimes it does nothing. I've stuck an oscilloscope on various places, and there always seems to be a signal from the distrubutor, and the sensor's cable is in very good nick. This signal disappears on the primary side of the coil suggesting the amplifier is at fault; but I haven't managed to probe the input signal from the distributor sensor while it is plugged into the amplifier when I've cranked the engine. I fitted a brand new amplifier today and while it ran well for half and hour, when I tried restarting it later on it stopped working again.

Given all there is to the system is a distributor and it's sensor, the ignition amplifier, the coil, and HT leads, plus the wiring and supply; there's not a lot to go wrong! I've even removed it and have it sitting here on my desk happily running with one spark connected to the coil while I spin the rotor arm.

Any ideas would be most helpful!

welshpug

i know its not much help but I find the later systems much simpler to work on, as there are even less components to fail in theory.

I had a similar problem with my 8 valver, I would get an intermittent non start problem, which at worst would make it cut out when driving, but only when coasting down or dipping the clutch in traffic.

I never did cure it and I eventually just dumped the whole management for Mp3.1, coilpack ignition :)

Sign in to follow this