• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
v6Max

266mm Brakes Arghhhh!

v6Max

Ok, reaching then end of my patience with this now so after some solid guidance if possible...

Brought some MI16/S16 Calipers off the dreaded eBay - claimed they'd bolt straight on to 1.9 hubs and that's where the problems began. Picked up some 266mm discs from a 306 but the offset is not right for (27mm as opposed 35mm) so then got some 307 discs correct offset (well .5mm out).

When I offer the yoke up to the hub it fouls the disc before the mounting holes get anywhere near the threads on the hub - I'm confident I'm not being an idiot about this so I'm beginning to suspect the calipers are the issue so...

Which calipers do I need in order to fit 266mm discs to a 1.9 GTi? 306 266mm calipers are not in theory right because they're especting a 27mm disc offset.

Please help before the last remaining bits of hair on my head fall out...

Many thanks.

welshpug

can you get a picture of the problem?

the only thing I can think of as to why they dont fit is that you've got 405 discs or the wrong calipers.

v6Max
can you get a picture of the problem?

the only thing I can think of as to why they dont fit is that you've got 405 discs or the wrong calipers.

I did have 405 discs and then 306 discs which as you say definitely didn't work. Now I've got 266mm, 34.5mm offset 307 discs but the caliper yoke does not reach far enough back to the mounting points on the hub. So bascially if you were to look at the yoke from behind you'd see that the holes in it are a sizeable way away from the hub mounting points and that's even when the yoke is so close it's binding the discs.

My feeling is that the calipers haven't come from an MI16/S16 but from something else or a strange model revision. I'm guessing that the quick, but not cheap fix, is to move to a 307 1.4 HDi caliper but I need confirmation that they'll definitely fit the 1.9 hubs before I proceed.

welshpug

do the calipers have a pointy bit on one end pointing downwards?

v6Max
do the calipers have a pointy bit on one end pointing downwards?

Yes they do.

welshpug

certainly sounds like 405 Mi/306S16 calipers then :blink:

v6Max

Problem is that if they are then there's something else amiss and that pretty much only means the hubs - but I've got the paperwork for the car so I know it's a genuine 1.9.

Was there a 405 caliper that was for a disc side below 266mm or above? Perhaps that's the issue.

I'm confident that these calipers are definitely not going to fit hence the increasing temptation to just call it a day and go for the 307 option,

welshpug

I'd measure the offset from the hub to the caliper mounting lugs to make sure, the car could still be a 1.6 originally if the V5 was updated and a disc beam fitted.

v6Max

I've had the car apart doing the HG and spent enough time under it to spot the sump spacer plate so I'm sure it's a 1.9. I'll check the offset but do you know what the figure(s) should be?

Thanks for the help by the way :-)

pug309twin40s

if the brake calipers and carriers came originally of a 405 then the carrier won't fit without modifying it.

as i tried before and it did exactly as your describing.

You really need the calipers and carriers from a 266mm setup 206, 306 etc.

v6Max
if the brake calipers and carriers came originally of a 405 then the carrier won't fit without modifying it.

as i tried before and it did exactly as your describing.

You really need the calipers and carriers from a 266mm setup 206, 306 etc.

I gave up in the end and went for a 307 1.4 266mm setup which I'm hoping will let me finish the build up at last!

Thanks all

danpug

They should bolt on fine. Did they really use brakes of that size on 1.4's lol!!?

GLPoomobile
They should bolt on fine. Did they really use brakes of that size on 1.4's lol!!?

May only be a 1.4 but small cars are much lardier beasts these days, remember!

danpug

True, just seems HUGE!

v6Max

That's what I thought but then as others have said it makes you realise just how heavy a modern car is. Discs are thicker as well (only another 2mm).

What's surprised me even more is that buying new calipers and yokes from the main dealer was much cheaper than buying them from Brakeparts (not dissing them at all, Brakeparts have supplied other bits and been very reasonable and efficient).

Sign in to follow this