• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

Dummy Shock Length For Standard 1991 1.9

Jrod

Well I want to make sure the beam I've sold is at standard height as it easier than having to do it again. :unsure:

Haynes says 330.5mm but I found THIS thread and it seems not.

There are quite a few options in that thread so can anyone say which one works the best? :P

pug_ham

Yeah, I think Haynes has got that figure wrong.

If you set the dummy shock to 330.5mm even with standard front springs on it'll sit like a dragster imo.

Its a long time since I set a rebuilt a beam to standard height but I'd start with something like what Jonah used (322mm) & see what its like when fitted to the car.

Adjustment up or down on a recently rebuilt beam takes less than an hour both sides.

Graham.

Jrod

Only problem is I'm selling the beam and it's a bit more annoying if they have to bring their car back to me for me to re-adjust.

I'll go for 322 and keep my fingers crossed that it's right. :rolleyes:

philfingers

pretty sure 315mm is the min for GpN spec 1.9. pretty sure this is what i run on my road rally car and it seems ok. can check for definite on Monday

Phil

Miles

Hanyes wrong never :) , It depends on the condition of the bars as well as if they have sagged you will need more height to start with, But 315 > 320 should be fine

Chris H

With 20mm tb's i set my 205 to 300 and its a bit too low, i want the ride height to be about 15-20mm higher....and suggestion to how much i should change the dummy shock length to get this ride height?

Jrod

1mm in shock length is about 3mm in ride height so I'd say about 305-307mm

Chris H

Cheers for that....just what i needed to know.

philfingers

set my road rally car to 322mm and it's ok. 315mm was far too low! they 'settle' as they get old and get a little bit of twist in them. Which is why they're marked L and R. Other wise you fit them and they un-twist and then retwist the opposite way, and you're sitting on the tarmac by that point!

Phil

welshpug

its 2mm dummy shock to 3mm height, not 1mm to 3mm.

I.E 30mm drop, -20mm from damper bolt dimension, 15mm drop would be -10mm etc!

Edited by welshpug

Jrod

315mm is with 20mm bars tho.

mhyphenl
315mm is with 20mm bars tho.

I.ve just setmine up twice and not happy. Can it be right that the distance between mounts is more than the full extension of the shock. Won't it break the shock when the wheel is allowed to drop again??

pug_ham
I.ve just setmine up twice and not happy. Can it be right that the distance between mounts is more than the full extension of the shock. Won't it break the shock when the wheel is allowed to drop again??

Yeah, thats perfectly normal imo, I have to compres the rear shocks on all my 205's to fit them & haven't had any problems yet.

Graham.

welshpug

yes, perfectly normal when they're anywhere near std ride height, I've worked on several untouched beams and every one had the resting point of the torsion bars some 5-10mm beyond the full travel of the dampers.

welshpug

Just though I would add some data to this thread that I sourced from a PTS build manual.

Bearing in mind that the cars are intended to be standard ride height, and that Tarmac torsion bars are 23mm, and Gravel 20mm, the following settings are quoted.

Gravel/Forest use 315mm, Tarmac 312mm.

For the 309, (21.5mm/26mm torsion bars) gravel/forest 319mm, tarmac 315mm.

also in the document is this image

ptschallenge205309rideheight.jpg

Edited by welshpug

Sign in to follow this