• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest SimJen

Xu9jaz Cat Gti Low On Power

Guest SimJen

Hi,

Im a Kiwi with a XU9JAZ Cat 122hp 1989 1.9 GTI (Motronic 1.3).

It has 130,000km (81250miles) on the clock and is in really good nick.

It seems low on power and flat after 5000rpm.....otherwise it runs well, albeit a little lumpy when cold.

It doesn't use oil and doesn't blow smoke.

I've done a timing belt, waterpump etc, dowels are aligned.

I've cleaned air flow meter etc and injectors, replaced fuel filter & plugs, checked valve clearances etc

Thinking about the coil and possibly Lambda sensor next, and possibly ignition module?

Anyone have any ideas or experience with these Cat versions?

Id appreciate any help :unsure:

Cheers

Simon

cybernck

have you ever driven another XU9JAZ one so you could compare it?

don't know what you mean by "flat" but i find this engine to be very linear in terms of power delivery all the way to 6000 rpm.

as you've done all the servicing, with ignition being digital and assuming it's not "missing", you don't have to many options really,

and it will have to be something to fuel injection... either something wrong with lambda sensor (but then you'd have a K-light lit up

on your dash) or something due to AFM.

either way, you'll have to test the car with wideband lambda sensor to get the readouts of AFR to find out what's going on.

other than that... maybe it's something as daft as your airfilter being clogged up? or maybe somethign at the other side - CAT.

hope this helps.

Guest SimJen

Cheers for that, Im in the process of getting a new Lambda, filter is brand new (induction mod) and Cat has been removed with GRP. N type system in place.

I've never driven another one, but perhaps my experience is slightly clouded by the fact I ride powerful motorbikes and everything feels flat after them?

Or it could be that my last few cars were VTEC's?

It just feels like it doesn't rev as fast as it should........I'll replace a few other bits as mentioned and if it helps then I'll be happy.

Cheers

Si

CaptainK

I had a 122bhp 1.9 GTi with Motronic and CAT. Mine over time started losing power and seemed slow.

I solved the problem by shoving a 2.0 litre 16v GTi6 engine into it. Now it goes great. :lol:

trialster

maybe your fuel pump can't keep up with the demand of fuel over 5000rpm. maybe it would be worthwhile replacing it?

Sign in to follow this