• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
carbers205

Benefits Of Increased Displacement On 8v Engines?

carbers205

Hello people, as in the title really! Ive done a lot of reading on the 2088cc mi bottom end and its benefits but there is no reference to how any of this applies to 8v.

Ive got an XU10J2C (2.0) which I need to rebuild anyway, and now I know the required parts to get the displacement up.

The head has had some improvements to flow made, smoothing the SSR, 3 angle valves and seats and removing any imperfections. Ive also got the XU9 cam set up in it now.

Given these facts would I be wasting time and money on enlarging the bottom end? If not where do you buy 87mm pistons that dont cost the earth?!

Cheers

Andy

DrSarty
...where do you buy 87mm pistons that dont cost the earth?!

Wish I knew! Mine are forged 87mm jobbies, with an altered gudgeon pin height for.........£500 and a 5 month wait :wacko:

I don't know if 16v pistons cost more, less or the same as 8v ones, or whether you can just buy a cast 8v straight swap replacement?

Personally, I can't see how you won't benefit; I mean I can't see any draw backs whatsoever. As they say, 'there's no replacement for displacement'.

Best o' luck.

Edited by DrSarty

carbers205

Cheers Rich, been keeping a keen eye on your project since you've been back (any updates btw?!) and its always good getting feedback from people doing the same type of work.

I feared as much regarding the price, that may become a deciding factor. There dont seem to be many 2nd hand 87mm pistons floating around either!

B1ack_Mi16

You could try to find some that will suit from a catalogue.

I found some that will fit my 2.2 T16 engine project perfect.

Got them from eBay for total 280£ inc. vat and shipping, so I'm well pleased :wacko:

http://folk.ntnu.no/satertro/XU12J4TE/CIMG1055.jpg

DrSarty

Ref updates on my 2.2Mi hybrid: should be collecting the engine and photos of the build next weekend, 2/3 Feb.

I am positive, with a little effort and searching (like BlackMi), that you can find some catalogue or main stream manufacturer that has exactly or close enough to what you need. It's worth the leg work.

carbers205

Yeah no worries, thought Id better check the value of doing it first in case I was wasting my time tracking down the parts!

Cheers guys

Sign in to follow this