• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dream Weaver

Any Body Run An Airbox With Throttle Bodies?

Dream Weaver

My most recent plans for the 205 this year was to ditch the TB and ECU setup and go back to std Mi16 induction, so the car would be quieter and a bit more civilised to drive around town, which would mean my mrs could drive it on the odd occasion she needs to and I get to keep it. :D

But with half of me wanting to keep the TB's because I did all the work myself (and it makes for a reliable and much cleaner under bonnet setup), and the other half of me realising what a ballache it will be to go back to std induction (dizzy caps, ign amps, coils, AFM, wiring loom, multiplug, blah blah blah) I think my plans are now changing. :)

The bike bodies work well, but the 2 things that have always bugged me is the noise/boom at low speed and the jerky throttle response. The throttle linkage I will spend some time on to get right and make it much better to drive (some how), but for the noise issue I was wondering whether an airbox with cone filter would work?

So, does anyone run an airbox with a cone filter, and if so does it redcue the noise and boomyness of the TB's at lower speeds?

Is it possible to just buy an airbox that can clip into my existing ITG backplate?

Any comments? I really do want to keep the 205 as it is, and if I can overcome these 2 issues, and sort my cold start mapping I should be able to keep it all as is.

Batfink

what size tb's you got? You may need a better map at low revs. I never thought my tb'ed mi16 was that loud at low revs - i liked the burble, it was when I opened up the throttle that birds dropped out the trees in fright

GLPoomobile

Just a thought, but if you want to return to the standard induction without the hassle of the AFM and dizzy etc, why not just keep the mappable ECU and add the necessary sensors to get it working with the Mi16 inlet manifold and throttle body? Ditch the idle control valve and bung the holes, and stick a cone filter on the end of the hose where the AFM would normally join.

Probably talking crap as this is all stuff I know very little about, but surely a possibility?

Dream Weaver

That is possible GL, but its a fair waste of £1k's worth of ECU without the bodies.

Batfink - it's not so much loud, as very burble-y like you say - it growls quite a bit when just trickling about. The boom is more at higher revs, say on the motorway when cruising - its louder than an exhaust! :)

Tom Fenton

I think if its quiet and semi civilised you want then you won't beat standard injection and management TBH. I have this on my Mi 205 at the moment, the only thing that makes my car noisy is the exhaust system really. It will pull from virtually no revs smoothly, starts when hot or cold as good as gold and idles perfectly, on a run I've even had mpg into the mid 30's.

As you know, I'm planning to go the other way and convert to bike bodies, purely to try and extract some more power for track use.

phatgti

How about Martins Mi16 on bodies - i'm sure it was a lotus elise airbox made out of carbon with a side mounted cone filter - his username was CRF250 or something

Dream Weaver

Yes, that's the one I had in mind Wayne, very neat looking install.

Don't know what to do now - Tom is right, the std induction setup is very good but the hassle involved in going back to that is fairly immense.

All Praise The GTI

i keep seeing airboxes for tbs in performance mags.(gpr/demontweeks etc) about £150 i think! they do look good tho and fit straight on the backing plates

Dj_mini

This is my set up but its far from quiet!

today001.jpg

front.jpg

oli-pug

I could have a word with a guy at work if you like. He runs a company called "auto-teknix" who make nice airboxes for the elise. In fact they probably made the one on the 205 above!

http://www.auto-teknix.co.uk/index.html

mos

hijust wondering how you have got on with this dream weaver as its something i am considering myself.although i have the added complication of having one of sandy's inlet manifolds on my car so it may not be viable at all.thanksmarkhijust wondering how you have got on with this dream weaver as its something i am considering myself.although i have the added complication of having one of sandy's inlet manifolds on my car so it may not be viable at all.thanksmark

Daz_C
hijust wondering how you have got on with this dream weaver as its something i am considering myself.although i have the added complication of having one of sandy's inlet manifolds on my car so it may not be viable at all.thanksmark

Dito. I'll be requiring one shortly too. ;)

I too have one of Sandys manifolds Mark, probably/possibly abit different to yours but I don't think this will be an issue for us as the box I presume fits on the end of the bodies ? I think you'll have more room above the box to close the bonnet, but will still need to remove the slam panel !

Stew205 has one of Sandys Manifolds also and he has made his own air box which does the job a treat !

Dream Weaver

I've left it for now as the £250+ prices for those airboxes are putting me off. :)

No plans as yet, waiting for better weather.

mos
Dito. I'll be requiring one shortly too. :)

I too have one of Sandys manifolds Mark, probably/possibly abit different to yours but I don't think this will be an issue for us as the box I presume fits on the end of the bodies ? I think you'll have more room above the box to close the bonnet, but will still need to remove the slam panel !

Stew205 has one of Sandys Manifolds also and he has made his own air box which does the job a treat !

hi daz

yes the air box fits on the end of the bodies. when i get around to ordering one i will have to remember my bodies are inverted so when i fit a airbox it will be inverted. i need to get one with intake on the right side as you look at it from the front of the car for what i need so i will need to order a left handed box.

with sandys manifold i run short trumpets (30mm) which will hopefully allow me to use something quite shallow like the pipercross airbox.

i dont know wether to opt for the 78mm opening or the 100mm. i dont want to go to small and loose power but i dont want to go unneccessarily large either.

anyone offer an opinion on that

i need to do some accurate measuring of things but i am hoping that using say the shallow pipercross unit i can get away with trimming and then re-inforcing the slam panel so i can keep the original look without resorting to bonnet pins.

i haven't used the car for a couple of months now due to not wanting to kill the engine through premature engine damage due to not having an airfilter on there.

i haven't got around to taking my rad back to rad tec either. the leaks been a slight trickle down the core since i put one of them stop leak additives in but i need to get it fixed properly. i really need to sort that as it will be 12 months old in may and so out of warranty soon.

shouldn't be a problem should it daz?

anyone confirm that as long as the trumpets have say 30mm of clearance to the airbox that using an airbox should not have a detrimental effect on power. after all the effort thats gone in to the car thats the last thing i want!

thanks

mark

Daz_C
hi daz

yes the air box fits on the end of the bodies. when i get around to ordering one i will have to remember my bodies are inverted so when i fit a airbox it will be inverted. i need to get one with intake on the right side as you look at it from the front of the car for what i need so i will need to order a left handed box.

with sandys manifold i run short trumpets (30mm) which will hopefully allow me to use something quite shallow like the pipercross airbox.

i dont know wether to opt for the 78mm opening or the 100mm. i dont want to go to small and loose power but i dont want to go unneccessarily large either.

anyone offer an opinion on that

i need to do some accurate measuring of things but i am hoping that using say the shallow pipercross unit i can get away with trimming and then re-inforcing the slam panel so i can keep the original look without resorting to bonnet pins.

i haven't used the car for a couple of months now due to not wanting to kill the engine through premature engine damage due to not having an airfilter on there.

i haven't got around to taking my rad back to rad tec either. the leaks been a slight trickle down the core since i put one of them stop leak additives in but i need to get it fixed properly. i really need to sort that as it will be 12 months old in may and so out of warranty soon.

shouldn't be a problem should it daz?

anyone confirm that as long as the trumpets have say 30mm of clearance to the airbox that using an airbox should not have a detrimental effect on power. after all the effort thats gone in to the car thats the last thing i want!

thanks

mark

I haven't a clue about dimensions for the airbox, unfortunatly or fortunatly (depends how you look at it) I've got to have one similar to DJ Mini's front entry box with a panel filter.

Ref Rad - shouldn't be a problem I'm speaking to him tomorrow so I'll tell him to expect it................sometime :o

mos
I haven't a clue about dimensions for the airbox, unfortunatly or fortunatly (depends how you look at it) I've got to have one similar to DJ Mini's front entry box with a panel filter.

Ref Rad - shouldn't be a problem I'm speaking to him tomorrow so I'll tell him to expect it................sometime :ph34r:

thanks daz

Sign in to follow this