• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pug309twin40s

Drivers Door Won't Open!

pug309twin40s

just brought radsters 205 gti but it has a problem with the drivers door won;t open.

The key works unlocks, same as the pull button, but when operating the door handle either outside or inside the door nothing happens, the door wont open.

i've managed to partially pull the top of the door card off enough to look inside the door. all the rods are in place and more little levers on the lock when you operate the door handles but the door lock just wont release the door.!!!!

help!!!

anyone had this problem?? and know how to open the door without taking a big hammer to it!!

Popshot

Just had exactly the same problem on a passenger door. The lock itself was very badly worn leading to excessive movement of one part where it interfered with the mechanism. I had to drill the plastic lock backing away inside the door near the bottom and middle of the mechanism to facilitate removal of the door closing peg bolted to the body. Even after undoing this it still needed some substantial brute force and ignorance (plentiful supply) to spring the peg the last mm. It left a mark on the door frame where the peg threads scraped but it did open. Only a new mechanism will suffice for permanent repair. You may get away with just finding the peg by drilling the plastic and then drilling out about half an inch above it and 1/3 inch towards the inside of the car from the middle as there's a direct release lever in the mechanism there that you may broddle with a screwdriver (discovered after I'd removed the peg).

steve@cornwall

Chances are that the door handle has partially seized. The metal arm in the pic. should be sprung to return to the down position, but when not used for a while sticks up and has the effect of trying to unlock the door with the handle slightly lifted, try it - door won't open.

Take the door handle out, 10mm nut inside and pop out the bolt, torx bolt under the outside of the handle. You may need to "modify" the little lugs that are on the bottom of the handle mech to get it to clear the door skin. Then just pop off the wire from the handle. Liberally coat all accessible parts of the riveted pivot in the centre of the arm and work 'till it springs to the right position, then refit!

Once the handle is removed, the door should open with the interior opening handle.

I took this pic. last week when I did the passenger door on ther cti which had decided not to open after a few months of not using it -I knew it would be needed soon

post-7883-1201183556_thumb.jpg

Popshot

Mine suffered from that too but alas it wasn't the root cause of the problem. I got mine going on the outer handle only, the inner still won't open it. It needs another lock unit as the inner handle mechanism simply exacerbates the play in the lock to the point where parts move where they shouldn't.

welshpug

my passenger door suffered from exactly what Steve described, you can strip the doorcard off with the door closed, just move the seat forwards and backwards as necessary.

pug309twin40s

update.

door lock is fully functioning again!!!

lever as steve said was slightly seized so bit of wd40 and fully working again but after much fitting and still not working found the arm was slightly bent iswell catching on the bracket for the window runner. bit of bending back and all is well again.

apart from the stupid little white clip keeps coming of the end of the door key lock!! must find the spare one i got somewhere.

steve@cornwall
update.

door lock is fully functioning again!!!

lever as steve said was slightly seized so bit of wd40 and fully working again but after much fitting and still not working found the arm was slightly bent iswell catching on the bracket for the window runner. bit of bending back and all is well again.

apart from the stupid little white clip keeps coming of the end of the door key lock!! must find the spare one i got somewhere.

Nice one! I have drilled the end of the door lock in the past and fitted a small self-tapping screw into it. When assembled the screw can be fitted with a washer on to hold it all in place, fiddly but effective

welshpug

aaah I did wonder if that was possible steve, what size drillbit+screw did you use? the said plastic thingys keep coming off on my 309!

steve@cornwall
aaah I did wonder if that was possible steve, what size drillbit+screw did you use? the said plastic thingys keep coming off on my 309!

Not sure on sizes, drill bit was small! -came with my dremel type thingy and the screw was in the bottom of the toolbox (That's helpful isn't it? :blush: )

Drill bit was actually about half the diameter of the end of the lockand the screw IIRC was a self cutting, drill ended one from double glazed window reinforcement

Sign in to follow this