• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tesstuff

Looking For A Definitive Engine List

Tesstuff

My 205 Gentry is needing a new engine and i am looking on ebay but dont really know what for.

I would like as new an engine as possible , but i dont know which ones are XU and will fit straight in.

After a search ive noticed some newer engines come with lock/unlock problems , another reason i wont know which to buy.

I want my mechanic to come over on a Sunday and take my present 1.9i lump out and drop a.n.other lump in, it must be compatible with the auto box of the Gentry and for that reason it cant be big on power.

Ideally something like a 306 1.8 16V looks nice but i dont know if it will just drop in.He wont be doing any welding and fabricating , so it has to just drop in and connect up.

If that isnt feasible then your advice would be appreciated.

I dont want more power i just want a newer more reliable engine as i dont see the 1.9i as being that.

Regards

Daz

richsmells

Your easiest option would be to fit a 1.9 gti engine as there are loads about. There's not much wiring to sort, no unlocking of ecus etc. A 1.8 16v would fit fine as it's an XU engine but would still most likely kill your auto box and would need welding done to the exhaust downpipe due to clearance issues. Other issues would be master cylinder/cam cover clearance and the usual manifold/radiator/fan gap. Then there's the loom/ecu and sensor wiring to sort. All similar to the 306 gti6 engine conversion.

Why do you need the auto box? With a bit of extra work you could swap to a manual and fit any XU engine you like, within reason.

Edited by richsmells

jackherer

Most alternative engines will need some exhaust welding to fit, the 2.0 Mi16/S16 is a notable exception, I don't know about the 1.8 16v.

Miles

You could fit the 1.8 8v engine from a 306 Auto and thats about it, You could swap you injection parts over and it might run OK, other than that it's different Loom and ECU installs for the various engine's as the std Jetronic will not run anything else

The CAT engine is found in late CTi's, 205 & 309 GTi Auto's

Tesstuff

The auto box is great and it's the first time i have ever driven an auto and it just suits my day to day use so well. I stay local and its nice and nippy and i never change gear, it stays in 4th all day long.The miles per 1000 revs in top gear is perfect for longer journeys also.

So im just hoping to drop another engine in thats a little bit more reliable than the 1.9i , but its seems that isnt an easy job.

If i did convert to manual it would be for something worthwhile, like a GTi-6 transplant but i dont want to do that unless i can find myself another Gentry.

Found two models down South and went to see them both.First one , old lady owner from new, 32,000 miles, as mint as it was out the showroom, took it on a small test drive and the engine blew up when stretched, oil everywhere and a VERY angry owner :)

Second one, 3 owners, 39,000 miles , a total minter , test drove it and loved it, and paid the man his money , drove 3 miles down the road and the cambelt snapped, rang him for assistance and he offered me money back and a lift home to Leicester, offer i couldnt refuse.

So these Gentry's are proving hard to find and a good one is ultra rare.

Regards

Daz

Miles

They are Cambelt safe so sticking on a new belt and she would be off again, so maybe worth making a offer as it stands

Tesstuff

Miles ( or anyone ) can you explain why the 205 Gentry auto box being a 1.9i has a problem with anymore power at only 102bhp(105ps) when the 309 Gti auto obviously produced alot more power with its 1.9i and auto box.

What are the differences that allow it to deal with the extra?

And with bigger Peugeots having auto boxes is it not an option to source an auto box from say a 405/605 for example that can take more power ?

Sorry to ask alot of questions but its decision time once more and im confused as hell.

Regards

Daz

Sign in to follow this