• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

What Angle Grinder Attachments Are Best....

GLPoomobile

I've had a look at a few tool websites and there is vast array of wire brush attachments available for different jobs, and as I don't want to spend a lot of money I want to know what 1 or 2 attachments I should buy first for rust removal.

Initially this will be for tackling a spare subframe, front ARB and slam panel that I have.

Obviously different sizes depend on what job you are tackling, but for what I've described what shape brush would be easiest to use and most effective? And should I get twist, knotted or crimp? Then there appears to be different types of wire, like toughened steel..... :)

Also, aside from wire brush attachments, are there any other discs etc that are recommended for rust removal?

ashley peddle

always just used ones from diy or halfords... they all seem to do roughly the same job. just avooid cheap ones - as the wires come out and youll find them everywhere (and trust me - they hurt like HELL when you sit on one!)

Stu
I've had a look at a few tool websites and there is vast array of wire brush attachments available for different jobs, and as I don't want to spend a lot of money I want to know what 1 or 2 attachments I should buy first for rust removal.

Initially this will be for tackling a spare subframe, front ARB and slam panel that I have.

Obviously different sizes depend on what job you are tackling, but for what I've described what shape brush would be easiest to use and most effective? And should I get twist, knotted or crimp? Then there appears to be different types of wire, like toughened steel..... :)

Also, aside from wire brush attachments, are there any other discs etc that are recommended for rust removal?

Ive used the straight type cup brush and the twisted type, both are great at what they do, the straight is probably a little better at removing stuff, if not as long lived as the twisted.

Either way, prepare yourself to get smacked in the face (usually the eye.. :lol: ) with the bristles from said brush while you are using it.. Ive had a few..

The usual grinder (4.5inch) uses an M14 thread, so double check that before you get one.

GLPoomobile
Ive used the straight type cup brush and the twisted type, both are great at what they do, the straight is probably a little better at removing stuff, if not as long lived as the twisted.

Either way, prepare yourself to get smacked in the face (usually the eye.. :lol: ) with the bristles from said brush while you are using it.. Ive had a few..

The usual grinder (4.5inch) uses an M14 thread, so double check that before you get one.

Yep, M14 it is.

Will be buying some basic goggles and a dust mask, and have some good gloves. The rest of my body is not so important :)

hengti

B&Q sell drill mounted poly stripping discs which are really, really good at removing rust - can't recommend them highly enough

they're expensive and wear away relatively quickly though

Alastairh

If you buy a few different size attachments for a drill for wire brush so you can cover big areas but also tight spots.

Then for the grinder just a metal cutting disc for cutting metal out and grinding for preparing areas etc.

Nothing expensive, and all available from B+Q.

Al

Beastie
Yep, M14 it is.

Will be buying some basic goggles and a dust mask, and have some good gloves. The rest of my body is not so important :wacko:

Decent goggles cost around a tenner and upwards.. it honestly isn't worth using cheap goggles for angle grinding because particles can actually find their way into the air vents and still reach your eyes. Years ago I have had bits of metal embedded in my eye which had to be drilled out in an eye hospital... yes I did say drilled out. And the worst thing is that you have to be conscious so you can keep your eye still while you watch the drill bit approaching. This has happened to me twice and both times I was wearing basic goggles. More sophisticated goggles have "labyrinth" style air vents which prevent anything coming through them.

sonofsam
Years ago I have had bits of metal embedded in my eye which had to be drilled out in an eye hospital... yes I did say drilled out.

:unsure:

I wear glasse so I've been given special googles at work B):D

Toilet roll in the ears works well as make shift ear defenders as those unkown frequencys a cheap angle grinder can give off in a confined space

are a silent danger so to speak, you wont know you've done any damage till it's too late!

I recommended these to someone on here very recently ( :P ) We use them for de-rusting old steel tools and chucks as well as polishing, but like Hengti says they wear quite quickly!

McPikie

I was looking for this kind of info for anglegrinder/drill attachements for sanding down as I am going to be refurbing my wheels and cantr be arsed to hand flat them all to start with

Sign in to follow this