• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

How Noisy (tappy) Should My Engine Be?

Atari Boy

I know this is bit of a how long is a piece of string question and I have done a search but couldn’t come with a relevant answer.

Right, 1.6 car with 1.9 8 valve transplant, bottom end rebuilt 1500 miles ago and head rebuilt and re-shimmed 5 miles ago. 1.6 gearbox, flywheel and K and N induction kit.

The car goes well, pulling like a train, the induction kit gives a great grin factor but the engine seems tappy. The head was rebuilt by a local firm (Cambridge Rebores) whose work I trust. I haven’t used an induction kit before and the engine has been in a week now. There is not one particular cylinder that is louder than another and my daily driver is a diesel so in comparison the 205 is really quiet.

I know it is tricky to answer the question fully without seeing the car running but is this a common problem or am I being over sensitive and need to remember that the engines has shims and does not benefit from hydraulic tappets found in modern cars?

Advice and comment welcome.

Thanks

Jonny

jackherer

Are you sure its the tappets? The injectors make a bit of noise and a cracked manifold can sound similar too.

There are a lot of people in your area on here so maybe you could meet up with someone to compare engines.

Atari Boy

The exhaust manifold has been wielded in the past but looked okay when it was refitted.

The injectors may need looking at, could I to put some carb/injector cleaner in with the fuel?

There is a host of fuel additives to use, do any of the actually work?

There are two local chaps from the forum that have been fantastic to me already (you know who you are) I was keen not to try and bother them again if possible, but I might just try and chance my arm one more time.

Thanks for the advice.

Jonny

McPikie

I'm going with jack on this one. Might also be mani-gasket

silent_running

It was me that said it sounded noisy when we went out in it earlier...it does indeed pull very well, but when we got it back and let it idle on the drive it sounded very noisy once the oil was warmed up.

Never having heard a 'healthy' 205 engine and always having had cars with hydraulic tappets I'll admit I may not be the best judge of a noisy top end, but you can really hear the cam doing its stuff in there and I know what injector ticking sounds like; it's not that.

Pugnut

what colour are the spark plugs ? if its running lean it can also sound pretty tappety . dont ask me why ! and have you checked the bulkhead grommets ? if one of these pops loose it can really get noisy in the cabin.

All

Atari Boy

I still need to get it properly timed up so that may help.

Thanks for the tips

ashley peddle

hey dude

a bunch of us are getting together from the french sports club on sunday in newmarket... will be a few people there who know their stuff so feel free to pop over. (will have my 1.9 there so you can compare side by side if you want)

ash :mellow:

Atari Boy
a bunch of us are getting together from the french sports club on sunday in newmarket... will be a few people there who know their stuff so feel free to pop over. (will have my 1.9 there so you can compare side by side if you want)

That might be a good idea, what time and where?

Jonny

ashley peddle

were going for lunch at the white heart at 2pm :mellow: there is plenty of parking out the back (next to deniros)

snillet
what colour are the spark plugs ? if its running lean it can also sound pretty tappety . dont ask me why !

All

I´ve noted that mine gets more tappety when it´s running lean, and that is probably cause the valves/guides/seats and generally large parts of the head becomes a lot hotter.

My guess.

Sign in to follow this