• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest OldGit

Driveshaft Nut That Won't Give Up - What Can I Do? Quite Urgent&#3

Guest OldGit

hello again,

on the drivers side (long driveshaft), the hub nut just won't give up.

i relieved the stake as normal, and the thing just won't play.

i've bent a power bar on it already and finally murdered the ratchet in my old knackered torque wrench that i keep around for this sort of thing. i've tried knocking it round with a cold chisel and hammer. i've tried heating it up.

what am i left with to get it out? i don't really want to cut the driveshaft if i can avoid it as i will need it later to get rid of my parts car...

only other extreme solution i can think of is swapping the hub with a captive driveshaft!

any suggestions?

cheese!

t.

pacey205

Porbably not much help but find a bigger bar. One of mine was unbelievably stubborn for some reason, until I heated the bugger uo and got a 6 foot bit of scafold bar on it, finally gave in and came off then.

Michael

Guest OldGit

just tried here

i've tried most things short of the compressor, so off to try and pull the hub now...

Guest OldGit

i was using a 300mm 1/2in breaker wrapped in a jack handle with a bar from my engine crane, and standing/jumping on it.

not surprised the breaker gave up, but upset about the nut staying put! :)

jackherer

I've had to use 8ft scaffold poles before. And yes, I've snapped a breaker bar or two, but Halfords happily replace them under warranty as long as you don't tell them you used an extension (which is specifically warned against in print on the breaker bar itself)

Normski

I snapped the square bit of my 1/2" breaker bar (took it back to Halfords and they swapped it no probs), there's too much flex with a 1/2" bar.

So I got a 3/4" bar, socket, and a metre length of scaffold pole. No bother now.

jord294

if ever i'm undoing or tightening hub nut, i use 3/4 breaker bar

sounds like your hub nut is a little tighter than 230Nm

maturin23

I'll second (or third) the scaffold pole one.

I use a nice 4 foot length, slid right down my breaker bar up to the socket. Without the pole the breaker bar bends but I can't crack the nut no matter what I do, with the pole on I can undo the hub nut without even breaking a sweat.

Batfink

is the car driveable? if so drive to your local garage and ask them to use the airgun on it for beer money..

Daz_C

If its that hard to get off I end up drilling and splitting the nut and replacing with a new one ! I've got through toooooo many breaker bars. :)

GLPoomobile

Also (without meaning to sound patronising) are you turning it the right way?

If you can't drive the car then whip the hub off and take it to a garage to try and crack it off with an air powered impact gun (but you've sound like you've realised that already :) ).

Guest OldGit

ta for all the suggestions!

it's still on for now, but i now have a nice new 400mm breaker which claims to be rated to 390nm, and abot 5ft of heavy duty pipe. i now have the problem that the wheel is rotating, so i'm waiting for my better half to get home to stand on the brakes.

if i still can't get it undone it's off with the hub the hard way time. don't really want to have to play that game, but if i do i'll just whip the hub off the parts car and make good.

here's hoping!

i've never tried to undo one soooo tight!

it's a bit late at night for the drill sadly. i'm working through on this one as i absolutely must have the car tomorrow afty. (pref am!) i DID get the angle grinder out earlier, but sadly the nut is too deep for this most satisfying of remedies :lol: tbh, judging by the liquid i saw puddling while heating the nut, i've probably cooked the wheel bearing already, so even once it's off it'll prolly be hub swap time.

i'll let you all know! :unsure:

McPikie

Big driver rammed down the vent int he disc helps to lock the brakes :unsure:

Normski

To stop the wheel turning. You'd be better off with the car on the ground, wheel on, center cap off, and chock the wheel.

The first time I tried this job I gave the length of bar and two wheel nuts method but this just bent the wheel nuts.

Pob
To stop the wheel turning. You'd be better off with the car on the ground, wheel on, center cap off, and chock the wheel.

The first time I tried this job I gave the length of bar and two wheel nuts method but this just bent the wheel nuts.

Mine was stuck on, drill two small holes in the nut opposite each other then use a cold chisel to split the nut through the small holes you've just drilled. It takes about 10 mins to do

Dan

Edited by Pob

Sign in to follow this