• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
returnofjim

[trackday_prep] 205 Gti6 Build Progress

Anthony
either std ones or there's another company that does them, The name escapes me at the moment

The ones Rally Design sell (Polysport/Polyrace IIRC) seem to be reasonable and have certainly lasted over 30000 miles on my car now including numerous trackdays. Whether I've been lucky or they're just decently made I'd not like to say, but certainly I've had no problem at all with them, other than that they're a little harsher than the standard bushes </off-topic>

magic

The space from the sump to the ground is more then enough..

that’s how we do it in Australia .. Different country’s different build qualities

Hear enough space for the gear shifter..

-25 is the maximum you can lower the engine how much u like -20 -15 -10 mm

graham%20021.jpg

James_m

How harsh are these mounts? Group N? I guess its always going to be ride height dependant though isnt it.

I can only speak for myself, but i think id comfortably get away with it on my -25mm ride height, and thats with another 10mm from an S16 sump. Though this is alloy block Mi.

But what is the driveshaft angle like with the drop?

gti_al

Not too sure about the shafts - i didn't pay much attention to them before. Knowing magics attention to detail i'm sure it will be fine though

Here are some before/after pics of the master cylinder and exhaust 1.9mi (and the engine/bay is now much cleaner...)

Before

After

Exhaust touching firewall

10mm+ off with lower mount

This was just with the lower drivers side mount too - with the other side done there is much more room again. The exhaust is fine with both sides lowered too, where with standard mounts and the plate is was still touching. It may have been easier to attack the downpipe, but i can't weld so was pretty happy with this

Edited by gti_al

returnofjim
Not too sure about the shafts - i didn't pay much attention to them before. Knowing magics attention to detail i'm sure it will be fine though

Here are some before/after pics of the master cylinder on and exhaust 1.9mi (and the engine/bay is now much cleaner...)

Before

After

Exhaust touching firewall

10mm+ off with lower mount

This was just with the lower drivers side mount too - with the other side done there is much more room again. The exhaust is fine with both sides lowered too, where with standard mounts and the plate is was still touching. It may have been easier to attack the downpipe, but i can't weld so was pretty happy with this

Well with the bulkhead modified in the way we have done it there are no issues with driveshaft angle, exhaust manifold clearance, oil surge due to engine angle or master cylinder clearance, saying that we are not having any timing belt covers fitted. Only thing we have to do it shorten the downpipe a little which is a very simple job. Also there is plenty of room around everything so if in the middle of a trackday and something goes worng then were not slowed down fixing it by limited space.

gti_al
Well with the bulkhead modified in the way we have done it there are no issues with driveshaft angle, exhaust manifold clearance, oil surge due to engine angle or master cylinder clearance, saying that we are not having any timing belt covers fitted. Only thing we have to do it shorten the downpipe a little which is a very simple job. Also there is plenty of room around everything so if in the middle of a trackday and something goes worng then were not slowed down fixing it by limited space.

I really just did it for the mastercylinder clearance. For $50 i doubt there is an easier way to get that much space

The mounts made the standard exhaust system work though, and that was an unexpected upside

returnofjim

Wil be updating this very shortly with more pics and progress, had been on the back burner for a while but im back on it again :D

Henry Yorke

I saw this on Sat and it seems to be coming on nicely :)

Bring on Blyton!

returnofjim

this is what we have been waiting for :)

th_000_0689.jpg

Gave the manifold a light porting to match the head, looks a bit like this

th_000_0685.jpg

Looks like the gasket might need a little trimming....

th_000_0686.jpg

th_000_0682.jpg

th_000_0683.jpg

No room at all for the 120mm trumpets behind the slam pannel so that had to be cut.

th_000_0687.jpg

th_000_0690.jpg

th_000_0691.jpg

Henry Yorke

Hope the bonnet shuts!! Looking well. :)

returnofjim
Hope the bonnet shuts!! Looking well. :mellow:

It does now! had to take a little bit of metal off that too :P

returnofjim

all pics now Here

returnofjim

All running and mapped on the dyno now with 214 bhp @ flywheel

returnofjim

th_000_0708-1.jpg

th_DSC00328.jpg

cybernck

very tidy, good work! :ph34r:

NeilGTi85

I am impressed, You've given me insperation for my new GTi-6.....when I get it :ph34r:

Neil

returnofjim

Thanks for the positive comments. It will be at Rockingham (fcs) this weekend if anyone wants a look :)

Paintguy
It will be at Rockingham (fcs) this weekend if anyone wants a look B)

Sod looking at it! I'd like to put my name down for a ride sometime please. Do I need to bring my own seat? :D

Really does look well though mate, that's one tidy looking engine bay :)

returnofjim
Sod looking at it! I'd like to put my name down for a ride sometime please. Do I need to bring my own seat? B)

Really does look well though mate, that's one tidy looking engine bay :)

Am sure if u speak to dan nicely he will take you for a spin anytime :D u know where we are....

taylorspug

What a beautifully tidy engine bay, really nicely laid out, good pipe routing etc. Are you going to duct into that oil cooler though?

Nice work!

returnofjim
What a beautifully tidy engine bay, really nicely laid out, good pipe routing etc. Are you going to duct into that oil cooler though?

Nice work!

Yes, making some kind of cut up headlight duct for trackdays, shouldnt really need it on the road (not that this car will see much public tarmac), especially in this crappy weather were having... also going to raise the bonnet slightly at the rear to let some warm air out.

Henry Yorke
also going to raise the bonnet slightly at the rear to let some warm air out.

Wonder if you could cut a neat hole towards the back and insert a bonnet vent from a Skoda Felicia. I was contemplating doing this 10 years back with my XS and sort of forgot when I got my CTI painted

returnofjim

couple of short vids from the weekend at rockingham, only just got it mapped in time and had done virtually no road miles testing so didnt really know what to expect. All went well really, only a puncture right at the end of the first session but luckily we took some spares and made it out for the second session just in time.

Click on watch in high quality :blink:

taylorspug

Sounds lovely in the second video! :(