• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
returnofjim

[trackday_prep] 205 Gti6 Build Progress

returnofjim

Hello! im in the middle of a GTi6 powered 205 build so i thought id just share some progress pics with everyone. This car will mainly be used for track purposes so may not be to everyones taste. The engine was sourced from a 306 GTi6 which had a very rough life, when we got the 306 the engine was in a right state. On closer inspection it revealed the poroblem of a previous cambelt snapping as there was valve marks in the piston crowns, one of the pistons had took such a whack that the piston crown had cracked, also the main bearing on number 4 piston had worn very bad, so much that the piston was hitting the head at the top of the stroke, the main bearing was worn that badly the crank was scrap and the con rod was also twisted!. A Replacement crank and pistons were supplied, the crank was reground for oversize shells, crank lightened and balanced so was the flywheel and the bottom pully just balanced, block was re honed, new piston rings, head skimmed, inlet and exhaust ports cleaned up, piper 270 cams, new seals and gaskets all round, new timing belt, tensioners and water pump, all genuine parts. seen as this is track based we decided the best route was to used the std engine mounts and create a wider exhaust tunnel at the Bulkhead as you can see from the first lot of pics.

CutBulkhead1-vi.jpg

CutBulkhead3-vi.jpg

CutBulkhead4-vi.jpg

DSCF0001-vi.jpg

DSCF0002-vi.jpg

DSCF0003-vi.jpg

PlatedUp-vi.jpg

returnofjim

Hope my mates measurements were good :D while i had the welder out and the subframe was off i thought I would seam weld it together to give it a little more strength, took a while but wasnt too bad with it being made out of thicker steel. Gave it a lick of paint afterwards too.

SubframeBottom-vi.jpg

SubframeLeg-vi411.jpg

SubframeTop-vi.jpg

DSCF0007-vi.jpg

returnofjim

Dropped the engine in today and luckily theres plenty of room round the exhaust manifold now. Got a solid Group A lower engine mount bush and a group n gearbox mount from Stew Baker as the old mounts were nackered.

DSCF0015-vi.jpg

DSCF0016-vi.jpg

DSCF0017-vi.jpg

DSCF0018-vi.jpg

New clutch was fitted, also clutch release fork bearings and a new Input shaft seal. New fork bearings took away loads of play in the clutch release fork.

DSCF0013-vi.jpg

DSCF0014-vi.jpg

Next job is putting new fuel and brake lines insed the car, DTA E48 ecu to install and Bodies when we decide which ones, all suspension bushes on front, mocal oil cooler to fit and much much more. I can see this one taking a while :D

Edited by returnofjim

All Praise The GTI

when i say iam going to use the grinder on my car iam usually just joking!

returnofjim
when i say iam going to use the grinder on my car iam usually just joking!

:D

DrSarty

Brilliant stuff. Nice handy work and nice pics too.

Great :D

magic

sorry mate, but when i see how people butch the gti6 engine in to a 205 :mellow:

i build at the moment a 205 with a gti6 engine RHD as well

with out cutting or smashing the firewall back ..

hear a guide ..

graham%20018.jpg

graham%20017.jpg

1200643073.jpg

1200745433.jpg

1200748498.jpg

1200745742.jpg

I made engine mounts for this project.. I lowered the engine and gearbox -25mm

clearance every where special on the mc

i can supply the engine mount kit world wide..

the hole build story hear

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54941

returnofjim

That looks great but like i said this is a track car so looks dont matter, also i wouldnt be wanting to lower the engine down any more as the sump is already quite low and without any sump guards being fitted could be dangerous. From your pics it looks very tight round the manifold/gear linkages etc, whereas i have loads of room.

Edited by returnofjim

Toddy

The problem with lowering the engine by 25mm is that a GTI6 engine sits 20mm lower than an MI so with a minimal drop in ride height (i.e 25mm) the sump clearance of a 205GTI6 now sits at 105mm clearance and the maximum height of a uk speed bump is 100mm iirc, so if the car is anything other than a track car then you may run into problems with sump clearance.

returnofjim
The problem with lowering the engine by 25mm is that a GTI6 engine sits 20mm lower than an MI so with a minimal drop in ride height (i.e 25mm) the sump clearance of a 205GTI6 now sits at 105mm clearance and the maximum height of a uk speed bump is 100mm iirc, so if the car is anything other than a track car then you may run into problems with sump clearance.

My thoughts exactly! this car will possibly be drove on the road to and from some tracks.

DrSarty

Again, excellent progress and phots. How much was the Nissens rad please (and was it a 205 GTi one)? It's my next purchase.

Sandy

Nice reporting, keep it up:)

M@tt

Excellent progress jim looks great!

petert

I used one of Magic's lowered mounts on an XU10J4R powered 205 and it worked a treat. It's a street car and it had no issues with sump clearance.

returnofjim
Again, excellent progress and phots. How much was the Nissens rad please (and was it a 205 GTi one)? It's my next purchase.

It was about 40 quid with psooc discount :rolleyes: yeh it was a std GTi one.

Edited by returnofjim

returnofjim
I used one of Magic's lowered mounts on an XU10J4R powered 205 and it worked a treat. It's a street car and it had no issues with sump clearance.

Have you seen UK speed humps? they actually call them speed cushions or some crap like that, a cushion is far from a good description! the height of them all depends who put them down, or probably more to do with who dug the hole. I went over one other day in my 106 at crawling speed and it managed to rip off a cover for abs wiring :rolleyes: dunno if there all like this in the UK but ones round here are nasty!

Miles

Good stuff, One of the few posting about installing this engine so hopefully it will help a few people in the furture,

Surprized your using the Flexi bushes thou

returnofjim
Good stuff, One of the few posting about installing this engine so hopefully it will help a few people in the furture,

Surprized your using the Flexi bushes thou

Yeh thought we would give them a try, they were cheap, but thats second person thats said that so im thinking there not going to be on long. Would you reccomend using std ones? Plenty more pics to come as more progress is made :rolleyes:

richsmells

Standard genuine Pug bushes are poly anyway.

Henry Yorke

Was it me that said about Powerflex too?! If not, then I probably would of! Genuine bushes from the 309 kit for me, and you get free bolts etc. Still they will probably be fine :)

I agree on the Sheffield speed bumps. I have already split a sump on a car via them, whihc cost me a lot of money. Also what angle do the driveshafts sit at as that is the important part.

taylorspug
Have you seen UK speed humps? they actually call them speed cushions or some crap like that, a cushion is far from a good description! the height of them all depends who put them down, or probably more to do with who dug the hole. I went over one other day in my 106 at crawling speed and it managed to rip off a cover for abs wiring :) dunno if there all like this in the UK but ones round here are nasty!

Couldnt agree more, my 205 isnt exactly on the deck and it rubs on bloody everything, speed humps, drives, even got the exhaust to deck out on a massive road camber once! So im buggered if id lower the engine down too...

Miles

I always say to people that the name say's it all 'FLEX' and having seen a few not even lasting 12 months even when fitted correctly it doesn;t for-fill you with condifence, but they do have a good name.

either std ones or there's another company that does them, The name escapes me at the moment

Pugnut

maybe i was doing something wrong , but about 8 years ago i fitted purple powerflex bushes to my wishbones. i did less than 10 before took them out again . i found the car felt dangerous and on the edge . like i say maybe i was doing something wrong (changing bushes isnt rocket science tho) but i couldnt beleive a reputable company could sell such items as an upgrade.

anyway rant over .

gti_al

I've got magics mounts in my car and it is also lowered 40mm. I don't find it scrapes, but i'm pretty careful with it. The BMW i normally drive is far worse despite being standard

I think it is a good solution, as it opens up space for the master cylinder and exhaust. Cutting the shell may work, but it seems a shame on a decent shell