• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest OldGit

Xu+box Removal Techniques; Limited Ceiling Height

Guest OldGit

hello, i'm in the middle of a hurried engine swap as i need the car back for work.

it looks like my engine crane is going to meet the ceiling before the sump clears the bumper line, and the gearbox is making life hard for clearing the inner wing. TU's are nicer to lift in this last respect!

i could remove the axle stands and let the nose down to the floor, getting a few extra inches.

what i'm wondering is, should i drop it instead?

the obvious problem here is getting enough height on the shell to get the lump out from under afterwards. i don't really want to end up with jacks and stands on spare wheels as i always feel unsafe whenver i've pulled this stunt in the past.

is this a good plan, and if so, is it ok to let the engine down onto it's back given that i'm pretty much going to have to drag it clear? not sure if this would risk damage to the exhaust side of the head face...

what does anyone think?

cheese!

Tom Fenton

Drop it back on the mounts or a jack and then rearranage your chains or slings to get the lifting hook of the crane as close as possible to the cam cover. This could give you the extra bit of height you need. If the gearbox is causing issues take it off the engine and then lift the engine out on its own. I always do it this way personally as I find it easier.

Guest OldGit

ta for that! i'm using a sling between the eyelets. i've already doubled it up and without a solid bar type (which i don't have) don't think i can get much closer to the cambox... might give splitting the box off a go, but i'll have to let it down to the floor to do that as i've completely removed the mounts...

here's hoping metcheck's right about tomorrow's weather!

i can't quite get two 205's into my garage lengthways unless i demolish the sink! so, the one that's getting the engine will have to be tail out, and my garage door is very efficient at pouring water everywhere as it goes up just past the horizontal! :lol:

if it all goes well i'll do the interiors too...

when i get time i'll strip and diagnose the engine i'm not going to use right now. it's making a horrible metal-metal clatter from the cambox, rising with engine speed. oil on the dippy looks nice and clean, but the sump is filthy. indicated pressure and temp spot on though. guessing at a strainer or a pump, but by time the noise has started, probably a cam too! ;) the bottom end seems stronger than the 'working' engine tho, which always felt more like it was putting out 90 odd brake than 115ish and always read low pressure (but that could be sender/gauge...)

any more suggestions etc welcomed, jsut off back down the the gallows... B)

pug_ham

If you still can't get the crane high enough, drop the engine & box down to the floor & raise the shell high enough to slide them out from underneath.

Its a good idea to removed the gearbox first if possible, then you've got a lot more maneaverability to get it out. With the rad etc off you can bring the engine out throught he fraont panel gap between the headlights over the bumper.

Graham.

steve@cornwall

I don't have a hoist or crane, so always drop the complete unit out underneath - can't say which is easier as I've never lifted one out. If dropping it remove the lower engine mount fork from the subframe

petert

I always drop the complete engine/gearbox out the bottom. Just undo the three engine mounts and lower it down on the lifting lugs. I remove the gear linkage bell crank just so the exhaust doesn't snag on the way down. There's nothing else that can get in the way. You need 600mm clearance under the front to slide it out. It's definitely the easiest and quickest method in my opinion.

Guest OldGit

cool, cheers guys!

it's out now anyway. i wasn't quite so short of headroom as i thought! not much in it though.

i removed the o/s headlamp and adjuster as the drive pulley was going to wipe it out, and pressed down on the gearbox while cranking up ot get the angle. two ppl would have been easier, sure, as would a chain instead of a strap so i could have picked my own balance point, but it's done, and mostly de-crudded. not as clean as i would like, but clean enough to make refitting much more pleasant.

i might well go for the drop on the other engine though, for speed. it's how i always used to do it on fiestas... always found clearance was the only problem, but there are ways and ways... A decent mk1 fiesta will actually take being hoisted from the front! don't think i'd want to try that with a 205... :s

Sign in to follow this