• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smokey

Loose Gearbox On My 1.6 Cti

smokey

Hiya Guys

I'm just about to start work on my CTI.

I noticed when i drove it that the gear changes are rather loose and its quite hard to find a gear. Plus the clutch is very heavy and needs to be really pressed to make a gear change.

Now i've not drive a Peugeot before so i'm not sure if this is normal.

Is it?

Think the problem might be going from a fairly new car to a car thats 21 years old!!

Thanks

ashley peddle

parts are fairly cheap to sort this...

first would be the 2 cup washers that go above and below the 'L' bracket... then a set of rods from miles (and a short-shift kit if your feeling brave)

as for the stiff clutch - mine have always been light as a feather ;)

Tom Fenton

Both common problems, the gear linkage rods wear out, or the pivot point becomes loose. 10 mins with your head under the bonnet and you will quickly be able to find out what is loose or has play in it.

As for the clutch sometimes the cable can go stiff as it is not a million miles from the exhaust. Other than that the pivot bushes can wear out which is a bit more involved to sort. What age is the car, does it have reverse gear next to 1st gear or behind 5th gear?

Miles

If it's hard to find gear's it's normally the ball pivit on the subframe, Use a large washer and new nut as the movement wear's the subframe slightly, the nut's up inside the subframe.

If it's a BE1 box then the cable will be stiff compared to pretty much any other car, but a new cable and cleaning of the clutch arm on the box should help, thou it will never be Ford light.

Finally check the rods as these wear too and can fall off, solution is either new OE rods or a set of mine

smokey

Wicked

Thanks for your help guys.

I will have a look at these things to see what it is.

As for the age its a 1987 CTI with the reverse gear next to the 1st.

Miles...

If the rods are worn then i'll i've you pm. Do you do the a short-shift kit too?

Miles

Yes it comes free with the rods

smokey
Yes it comes free with the rods

Cool how much?

Sign in to follow this