• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James_m

Some Questions.....

James_m

Hi all quick few questions....

Put an old Rotor arm on my 1.9Mi yesterday, to cure a misfire it has for the first few seconds of running, and a slight drop in idle speed sometimes which i think is a slight misfire. I think its a spark related issue, and the arm is slightly unknown so i decided to try an older one and see what happens.

Unsuprisingly i got a terminal misfire on my journey and decided to get it home before it cut out all together, which it did anout half a mile away from home.

Anyway, i let it sit for a few mins, they tried to restart it, which it was trying to, so i held it on the starter for a bit(5 seconds max) at about 300 rpm when smoke started come out the passenger side of the bonnet!

I crapped myself thinking i had serious wiring issues and it was about to go up in smoke, but it didnt thank god.

Im just thinking, was this a wiring problem, or was it backfiring through the inlet causing the smoke?

Any theories? Dont really think it was the starter, it wasnt cranking for very long at all

The bonnet was down, and i didnt really want to start it, so im not sure where the smoke originated.

I then restarted it again shortly after, but it was missing again idling at maybe 600rpm, but this time my injection double relays, or at least one of therm was screeching!? what the hell is that about? ;)

They were not especially hot, so i disconnected them and they looked fine.

Anyway, it did restart properly after about 10 mins and got me the short journey home no problems.

Any ideas on the screeching from the injection relays, and more worryingly the smoke?

jackherer

I've seen the odd wisp of smoke from the air filter when my Mi has been struggling to start due to management issues. But not with the bonnet closed, that doesn't sound good...

Just a guess but screeching relays and smoke when cranking might be a bad earth to the gearbox or possibly the engine loom, the current could be finding an alternative route to ground.

djinuk

when my ignition coil failed, i had mist coming out from my airfilter quite bad , unburnt fuel i am guessing, check your coil and ignition amp i would say

James_m

I fitted the other rotor arm back on today and all is well. I had a good luck at the wiring on the passenger side of the bay and there is no sign of damage or burning! Also, all signs of the slight misfire at idle i had before has gone, and ive picked up a nice bit of low end torque and smoothness. Bonus!

I think it must have been backfiring through the inlet heavily and the mist i saw was just the smoke produced.

Gearbox earth is good, where is the engine loom earth again? :)

jackherer
Gearbox earth is good, where is the engine loom earth again? :)

BX loom earths with two ring connectors onto the fuel rail, 405 loom IIRC has a ring connector that ends up somewhere on the gearbox side of the engine bay, your one is possibly behind the passenger side headlight but my memory is properly struggling now and I might be mixing yours up with someone elses :D

Sign in to follow this