• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Longun

Alternator Excite Wire

Longun

My alternator only cuts in above 3k, from searching I know this to be the excite wire is not connected and low and behold its not, its the only wire left in the multi plug. Problem is I can't find a spare wire for it to connect to?

The below pics show my brown plug with one wire left in it and the 6 connections that used to be the brown multi plug. I've also included the diagram I found on here after searching but I still can't see where i should be connecting it?

Can anyone shed some light?

Wires crimped rather than using multi plug

Old multi plug with one wire left in it.

Dream Weavers Diagram

The diagram shows 7 connections but I only have 6 joined and one on its own. For info this is on a Mi16 converted 205.

Thanks

pug_ham

The brown multiplug & associated wiring is original 8v 205 so it shoudn't matter about it being in an Mi16 engined car assuming a link loom wasn't used when fitting it.

If you only crimped six wires when you removed your multiplug then you ought to have a single wire somewhere which is the one you need.

Looking at the engine loom from my other car you need to find wire #7A which on this loom is brown & thats the one left in your picture of your brown multiplug with one wire left in it but I can't see in the wires crimped picture although there is a stray brown wire at the back of the picture. ;)

If that is the one on its own then you just need to connect a new length of wire from that wore & ruin it to the alternator exciter terminal imo.

Graham.

Longun

Cheers Graham I'll have a better search and if I have no joy I will add the wire. I didn't do the conversion and its been like this since I got the car but was low priority fix so I've only just got round to it.

Longun
although there is a stray brown wire at the back of the picture. :D

That is the same one thats already in the multi plug I didn't get it out the way enough.

pug_ham
That is the same one thats already in the multi plug I didn't get it out the way enough.

So what did you do with it when you crimped the bullett connectors in?

Graham.

Longun

That’s the thing I didn't do it, it came like this :unsure: I didn't spot it when I got the car I could see the multiplug had been removed but it wasn't until I was investigating the alternator that I spotted the stray wire and then clicked as to what it was.

The best way to put it is I have 6 and a half wires and half missing :lol: I just need to figure out which end I've got and put a new wire in. Unless it’s just buried somewhere in there.

pug_ham
The best way to put it is I have 6 and a half wires and half missing :mellow: I just need to figure out which end I've got and put a new wire in. Unless it’s just buried somewhere in there.

:lol:

Oops, easy to check though, get a piece of wire with a spade terminal on the end & plug it onto the alternator then touch the other end to the brown wire thats spare & if you're alternator light goes out you've sorted it.

Graham.

Longun

Sorted this. There was no wire from the alternator to this stray wire. Added one and all working fine.

Cheers Graham :D

Sign in to follow this