• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

Euro Trip In 205- What To Check/change To Avoid Breakdown?

Tom Fenton

I'm booked in for the Euro tour in May with the PSOOC, so already I am worrying about the ability of a 16 year old 135k mile 205 GTI to get me there and back without incident.....

So in order to give myself half a chance, I'm starting early thinking about things I ought to change beforehand, or carry as spares.

Obviously it would get a decent service before I go.

Either fitted already, checked over, or in my garage ready for fitting are-

Cambelt

Alternator belt

Cambelt tensioner

Waterpump

Both lower radiator hoses

Metal inner wing radiator pipe

All brake pipes solid/flexi

Both front wheel bearings

Engine mountings

Gearbox oil

Brakes overhauled front and rear OK.

HT leads

Plugs

Dizzy cap

Rotor arm

Gear linkage rods 2 out of 3 replaced with good spares

AFM retracked

Things on my list to check

Spare tyre- does it hold air?

Top radiator hose- check and replace if reqd.

Exhaust rubber hangers- check and replace if reqd.

Spares I have already-

Coil

Ign Amp

Alternator? Worth taking?

Starter? Worth taking?

So is there anything I have glaringly missed?

Or what things have you guys had let you down on your 205 that might catch me out on an autoroute in the middle of France??

Cheers.

Bonzai

ben allens 205 fried its distributor when we went to the ring in '06, and then on the way home the alternator made a bid for freedom. good times

one thing every 205 trip needs is an Anthony!

alternatively join the ADAC for mega cheapness and european cover

hengti

your list seems pretty comprehensive to me :lol:

mine made it to the 'ring and back with over 200,000 miles on the clock without any kind of incident what-so-ever (which was nice!) and 'all' i did in preperation was give it a thorough service which (co-incidentally) required the renewal of numerous coolant hoses.

if you already know the car well and are aware of its condition, i think the best you can do is give it a thorough service and take a small selection of spares ('from stock') with you. it needn't be sod's law that you need whatever you don't take but.. having just said that.. !

sussex_gti

Sounds like a good enough list to me, am also planning to do the same thing but to Spain in the summer. Id also be tempted to make sure your radiator is in top condition, and bung a new thermostat in while your there. only a few quid from Gsf. Good luck!

pip470

I think my spares box would also contain some gaffa tape, some electrical wire, tire weld and 5 liter bottle of water. Ive seen the a-team build a tank out of just thse things. I envy who ever is doing this trip so much. Good luck

Dream Weaver

And some spare spark plugs - they are cheap enough from motor factors to carry a few sets, just in case.

pdd144c

I had problems with driveshafts before, which are harder to find there than you might think!

Anthony

If it's a 1.9 GTi (or has rear disk brakes) then bring some spare pads and retainers - about every 'Ring trip I've been on someone's car has shed a rear pad. Either that, or ideally properly lock-wire them like the rallying boys do.

Also worth bringing a small bag of various sized/thread nuts, bolts and washers.

ashley peddle

id just take as many spares as possible... if you dont need it then someone else would (can sell spare at extorsionate prices then ;) )

hengti
European breakdown cover.

i bought ADAC and RAC cover when i went and noted that you need to be very mindful of the T&Cs and especially with an older car as there are caps on what you can claim for which are based on a proportion of the value of the car.

pug_ham

TBH now matter what you change can you really avoid a breakdown on a 205 GTi? Its more a matter of (bad? ) luck on any car.

If you could plan everything to avoid breakdown the AA & RAC etc wouldn't be needed.

Looking at your list you've done pretty much everything that might fail out of the blue stopping the car & other more long term items as well.

So is there anything I have glaringly missed?

A spare known good tachymetric relay or two would be good to take along imo.

Alternator is just bad luck, if it goes but you can check your bushes before the trip so that might be a plan.

You can struggle along without a starter if it should fail en-route so I'd leave that out of your list. Its not like the starter is in constant use so if its a good one it'll hopefully be fine.

Graham.

Tom Fenton

Cheers chaps, I think I will change the top hose as a precaution, one of the heater hoses has already been changed so I'll have a good look at the others too, as the exhaust manifold is not a million miles away.

ablister

don't think you have mentioned the exhaust system. Will probably be ok but best to make sure in case it'll fall off due to rust/corrosion.

I can remember me worrying about taking my p reg 306 to france last summer incase it broke down but it never missed a beat. I think it perfromed better as the long drives got rid of all the crap from the engine.

CaptainK

I'm hoping to do this trip too, so I'll be keeping an eye on this post.

davemar

I don't know if spare bulbs have been mentioned yet. In some countries you have to carry spares by law, likewise a warning triangle and even a fire extinguisher (though I'd be less concerned about that one).

If you'd built yourself a twin-engined 205, then you'd have dual redundancy built in! :lol:

Atari Boy

ADAC is very cheap at 80 euros and works in the Uk too (it diverts to the AA). Yes there is cap on bringing low value cars back with them but if that is thye case then they will take you home and bring you back once the car is fixed to collect it.

See my avatar as proof!!

Edited by Atari Boy

applemobile

water hose repair tape. Jubalie clips in various sizes, and cable ties. Can never have enough! I would take a couple of lengths of various sizes of silicon tubing. I always carry it now, after getting caught short at hald one in the morning, and having to bridge my split hose with a red bull can!

fulani
European breakdown cover.

Not worth the paper it's written on. When I broke down on the way back from the 'ring a couple of years ago, I had cover - called them up.

"Where are you?"

"Belgium, near the German border"

"It says here your car is 1988 Peugeot 205. We can't recover that car from there."

"Oh, why not?"

"The cost of recovery exceeds the value of the car. You can either make your own way back, or we will give you £850 for your car."

I'm told this is fairly common with most policies. All it needed was a new alternator!

cybernck

come on then, tell us what did you do in the end? ;)

let me guess, you sold the car to them? ;):P

fulani

Well first of all, I called Miles!

Then we towed it ten miles or so into Malmedy, forced the Peugeot dealer there to open up his workshop (on a Sunday - you know what they're like in darkest Europe!) and he sold me a battery. That got me as far as the ferry at Calais - pushed it off the boat, and called the AA from there!

keith

a load of jubilee clips. petrol hose clips, cable ties, spare coolant hoses...and breakdown cover ;)

jochem

Bring a spare clutch cable too.

A reflective safety vest is compulsory in some countries.

Dino

Exhaust putty

applemobile

fuse tester, fuses and some wire!

Sign in to follow this