• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dan Ingram

No Live At Ignition Switch

Dan Ingram

Leaving for work yesterday morning for the first time in my 205 for months the starter decides to stick on as im on my way out of the garage. It made a bit of noise and then I stalled my car and stopped. Managed to push start it and put it back in the garage. I've taken the rad out and removed the starter. It looks in one piece but is completely dead. I tried running a direct live to the solenoid but nothing happened so I put a new starter on and tried running a live to the solenoid and it worked no problem so I bolted it all back together.

Now in the middle of all this I have no power at the ignition switch. The red wire which is the live splits off in to two white wires and there is no power there at all. I've checked all the fuses and there all fine. I'm a bit stuck now though as I'm not really great at electrical stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can check?? Where does the ignition wire from the switch run to??

All help on this would be really appreciated as I'm completely stuck.

Thanks

Dan

steve@cornwall
Leaving for work yesterday morning for the first time in my 205 for months the starter decides to stick on as im on my way out of the garage. It made a bit of noise and then I stalled my car and stopped. Managed to push start it and put it back in the garage. I've taken the rad out and removed the starter. It looks in one piece but is completely dead. I tried running a direct live to the solenoid but nothing happened so I put a new starter on and tried running a live to the solenoid and it worked no problem so I bolted it all back together.

Now in the middle of all this I have no power at the ignition switch. The red wire which is the live splits off in to two white wires and there is no power there at all. I've checked all the fuses and there all fine. I'm a bit stuck now though as I'm not really great at electrical stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can check?? Where does the ignition wire from the switch run to??

All help on this would be really appreciated as I'm completely stuck.

Thanks

Dan

Follow the live from the battery to the block on the slam panel, check condition of the connection (10mm bolt and eye) here. also on this block are 2 heavy fuses, not sure what they do, but I'd check them too in case the dying starter has cooked them

Dan Ingram

One of those had blown and I replaced that but still no difference. Any more ideas?

welshpug

replace the ruing connector, it might not look that badly corroded at all, but cutting mine off and crimping on a new ring and an SS bolt sorted it when I had a similar problem.

Dan Ingram

Do you mean the ring connector that goes on to the block with the fuses?

Also where do the wires that come off this block go to?

welshpug

yep thats tha bugga, its the main power supply to the rest of the car, as well as the fans.

Dan Ingram

Thanks for the help chaps. Replaced the ring terminal and cleaned the fuse block up and its sorted it :)

Sign in to follow this