• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrG

Oil Pressure Gauge & Readings

MrG

as per title really, how accurate is the std oil pressure gauge?

And at what mark on the gauge should a healthy engine sit from cold, and when hot?

I've just got mine working and it shows good pressure (but it could be poor for all I know) so would appreciate any info there.

Cheers

Andy

jackherer

They aren't very accurate but thats not the biggest issue with them, they are extremely slow to react and wont necessarily move at all if oil pressure drops breifly and then recovers soon enough (i.e. oil surge when cornering)

Standard readings are roughly very high when cold, and pretty low when hot and idling but rising to about half when revved.

MrG

thanks hopefully mines ok then...

Stu

Ive got the same problem bud, my freshly rebuilt Mi gives a full gauge from cold, then when its warm drops down to the first mark, needless to say the first time i saw this i was a little disheartened..

But, after reading about how crap the stock gauges are, ive just decided to buy a pukka gauge then decide if theres something up with the engine!

MrG

I suppose it's best to fit a replacement sender to the switch (that activates the warning light) with one that lights up at a slightly higher pressure than the stock one, that way at least you'll have more of an advanced warning of impending doom or a problem than the std one that no doubt illuminates during the final death throws of the engine?

Stu

Yeah, im gonna invest in a warning light system as well as a decent gauge, ive got a baffled sump, extended pick up and such so ive made some preperations for the surge issue, just need to keep an eye on it really.

MrG

ah, excellent link thanks, just the pics I need to check against mine as a place to start.

Sign in to follow this