• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

What's This Sensor?

M@tt

Found this hanging down on the front of the engine block on my 106 diesel. I couldn't see anywhere where it should go but lookslike the little braket its on has snapped so was probably attached to something.

Any ideas?

f9af34fb.jpg

Mikey S

looks like a crank position sensor, perhaps to check pump timing or for a rev counter.

Rippthrough

TU crank sensor Matt, you vandal.

Henry Yorke

Does it still run?!

Tom Fenton

Of course it still bloody runs, it has a mechanical injector pump!

M@tt

yeah it runs fine (well part from the jerky acceleration and massive smoke cloud on startup ;)) and has been there since i bought the car, i didn't break it honest :ph34r:

Henry Yorke
Of course it still bloody runs, it has a mechanical injector pump!

...so the point of the crank sensor is.....? Peugeot don't usually pop things on just for fun!

Rippthrough
...so the point of the crank sensor is.....? Peugeot don't usually pop things on just for fun!

My wiring loom says different :huh:

Tom Fenton
Peugeot don't usually pop things on just for fun!

Usually I'd agree 100%, but it seems with cars from the mid 80's to the mid 90's they had some weird fetish for fitting crank sensors not wired to anything, with a plug fixed to a bracket somewhere, presumably for some kind of special diagnostic oobie-doobie at the main dealers to plug into.

Most of the early carb and distributor TU engines I have seen have one, although on older cars quite often its gone missing by now as it is little more than extra weight! As two examples, a 205 1.1 Junior I once owned of 1988 vintage had one, not plugged in, with a carburettor and distributor. Also my 1989 205 GTI 1.6 has one, also not plugged into anything.

Rippthrough

Just for further fun my camshaft has a distrbutor and fuel pump drive, it's an in-tank pump and electronic ignition...

Sign in to follow this