• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest petrie82

Brake Pads, Which Ones?

Guest petrie82

I've just bought a set of gti6 calipers for the track, and was planing just to use the standard disks and some desent uprated pads. I've read that alot of people are using mintex 1144's, are they any good and what else us on the market? Bearing in mind the car will purley be for the track.

Cheers, Michael

bren_1.3

purely for track? maybe 1155's, or the ferodo DS range.

Miles

DS2500/3000's or Mintex 1155's are fine, 1155's being the cheaper than 1144's for some reason, DS's are around the same price

James_R

I'm not keen on the 1144's I killed a set on my 306 last year. I've been running DS2500's on my 205 for the last couple of years, fine on the road and not really had fad on track, swapping to 3000's shortly.

joni

DS3000's are awesome but wear pretty quickly - i managed 2 rallies (circa 300miles). I use Carbone Lorraine (from Demon Tweeks) and these are very good mettalic pads that do not wear very fast. Unfortunately though your discs wear faster than normal (apparently) so people suggest using standard discs. I have used the carbone lorraines for one rally and they were great but they have such a good bite some people might not like them. I've had no brake fade and left foot brake so the pads have been put through their paces. They work well from cold as well. I have a bias valve so i can set more braking to the rear (standard shoes) to compensate for the extra braking up front. I've tried greenstuff, m1144, ds3000's etc and i don't expect i'll change from the CL's again.

jackherer

I've used carbone lorraine pads in my mates 205 with wilwood 4 pots and they are excellent.

My 205 currently has mintex 1166 on standard 1.9 calipers and I can't fault them, properly bedded in they have excellent bite from cold (fine for road use despite what I had heard) and they have lasted for a very long time.

Batfink

My shop is just starting to stock Carbone Lorraine and I really rate them :) What they do say is that you need a hard metal disk. If the metal is too soft then they wear really fast. I guess that will take a bit of experimentation to find a company with a consistant quality to their disk manufacture.

I'm getting a set for my BMW to experiment with and will be fitting some to my 205 soon

SPGTi

I also use the Carbone Lorraine pads and find that they work really well. I just use cheap motor factor discs and treat them as a consumable. I am sure though that reading the bumpf with the pads (or maybe the website) states that if you bed them in well ie get them nice and hot the "carbon" off the pads deposits on the discs and helps with the wear. My £12 a side discs have done something like 800 road rally miles with the CL pads and still have lots off life left in them.

Steve

swordfish210

Pagid "Blues" are pretty good (according to some local slaoon car racers) They're quite expensive though but i'v got a set of them for the rear of my 205 and i was gunna get some more more for the front

Guest petrie82

Cheers for the help guys looks like i'm gonna go for the Carbone Lorraine pads :D

SPGTi
Cheers for the help guys looks like i'm gonna go for the Carbone Lorraine pads :huh:

Just one point. I do find them very noisy during normal driving but they really quieten down under heavy braking.

Steve

Batfink

Are you going to be cheaper than Demon Tweeks for these pads ?

Steve

Spiky

i run ds3000 al around

when i only had them on the front they were awesome,

will never go back to a lower grade

Batfink
Just one point. I do find them very noisy during normal driving but they really quieten down under heavy braking.

Steve

Batfink

Are you going to be cheaper than Demon Tweeks for these pads ?

Steve

I doubt I will be cheaper. Demon tweeks are one of the distributors and they are selling at £30 below retail price. I should be able to match their price though. if I can sell enough I can become a distributor too though so then we can be more competitive :D

Edited by Batfink

joni

I still think Carbone Lorraine are the best pads you can use on a 205 at the moment - much better than DS3000's however make sure you check your discs regularly :o .

I'm just preparing my car for the next rally and was going to change the discs anyway but hadn't realised that they were 'slightly' worn after 2 rallies. So much so that on one side they had just worn through to the air vents!!!!!!

Remember this is after 2 rallies (around 300 miles)!!! ;) Sooo... i'm trying to find a reasonably hard disc now to cope with the pads. Any thoughts? Have also PM'd batfink.

McDude

I've got 1144s - they are superb on road and until recently I thought they were good on track, but the last track day I did they faded on a couple of occasions and I had to take a 'different' line. Next time round I'll get some 1155 I think.

joni
I've got 1144s - they are superb on road and until recently I thought they were good on track, but the last track day I did they faded on a couple of occasions and I had to take a 'different' line. Next time round I'll get some 1155 I think.

If you haven't tried Carbone Lorraine then you need to. I've used M1144's before. They are nothing compared to Carbone Lorraine.

RC5 CL compound would be fine for track. I've used both RC5 and RC6 compound as well as other pads like M1144, DS2500, DS3000, green stuff. Nothing compares to the Carbone Lorraine pads.

I hope people take note as it would be good if more people supplied these pads.

Best price i have found so far was about £70 inc vat + postage circa £7 for the RC5's (front bendix calipers). Worth every penny!

Tom Fenton

I've fitted brake ducts to the front of my 205 track car, can now use 1144's as hard as needed on the track and no fade. All these other fancy compounds are great but rather than just go up a pad why not address the cause of the fade, e.g. excessive heat, is my approach.

Batfink

The point of using the carbone lorraine pads is their stable friction co-efficient over the whole temperature range, not just at high temp. Not many pads work well from cold to nearly 1000degrees.

projectpug

I vote for ds3000's, with braided hoses and some top brake fluid their immense.

joni
I vote for ds3000's, with braided hoses and some top brake fluid their immense.

From that comment i take it you haven't tried carbone lorraine pads? I've tried DS3000's and carbone lorraine. The CL last much longer and have contstant braking friction at all temperatures.

I don't use braided hoses or top brake fluid (just DOT 4). My discs are often glowing red due to left foot braking and i've had no problems whatsoever with Carbone Lorraine pads. TBH i had no problems with the DS3000's either but they didn't last long at all and they don't have as much bite as the CLs.

Try them you won't be dissapointed. I should be selling them!!!

weejimmy

might be worth geting some cheap discs cryo frozzen. for the carbone lorraine pads?

if you could get a few people done at the same time would be prety cheap id guess.

just a thought

joni
I've fitted brake ducts to the front of my 205 track car, can now use 1144's as hard as needed on the track and no fade. All these other fancy compounds are great but rather than just go up a pad why not address the cause of the fade, e.g. excessive heat, is my approach.

I'm not supposed to modify the bodywork of the car for road rally use. Carbone Lorraine outlast M1144 and have a much more aggressive bite, which some people might not like, but it gives me confidence. My opinion is based on having tried both. I like to try different options for things like tyres and brake pads. I've no need to try any other brake pads again though unless somebody else mentions something better that i haven't tried. Until you've tried these pads its hard to criticise them.

Off topic but I recently tried Yoko A539's for the first time. Some people swear by them. I thought they were rubbish as an everyday tyre. Great in the dry but lethal in the wet/mud. Perhaps my personal preference but i would never use them again.

Sign in to follow this