• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bakes100

Busted Sunroof :(

Bakes100

hi guys.

i have a problem with my sunroof, it doesnt open and has never done since i have owned it. i pull the lever down but nothing happens. it seems in good condition and doesnt leak.

is there any common faults with the sunroofs or an easy fix??

any help welcome, thanks :)

Edited by Bakes100

Tom Fenton

First of all check that the vacuum pipes that suck the seal flat are all in place and not holed.

The main source of vacuum is a small pipe that tee-s into the servo vacuum pipe right next to the servo. This then goes rearwards under the windscreen wiper plastic panel. It tee-s off again here, one pipe runs across to the passengers side of the car, where there is a black vacuum reservoir again under the widscreen wiper panel. The other leg of the tee goes off up the a pillar to the sunroof seal. When you operate the handle, the vacuum pulls the seal flat, allowing the sunroof glass to slide. When you release it, it allows air back into the seal, which then elastically regains its usual shape and hence seals against the glass.

If yours isn't working then either there is no vacuum getting to the seal, or the valve linked to the sunroof handle isn't working.

steve@cornwall

My money goes on the release cable having pulled through its retaining nipple. prise the courtesy light out of the roof console and remove the screw holding the console in place. Then operate the handle - it should be obvious if the cable that runs to the rear of the sun roof is intact and operative. If you have a very small drill bit and craft tool, you can drill through a small bolt and clamp the cable through it with a nut. OPen the retainer on the operating arm to fit and job done! Otherwise, remove sunroof and replace cable!

Bakes100

Thanks mate ill have a look when the weather clears up!!

As this probly isnt the best time to be dismantling a sunroof :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this