• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dixon

[race_prep] My 306 Race Car Build

Dixon

Oh I don't plan on doing the whole door with the dremel, just had a few mins spare and cut out a couple of bits with the hacksaw and dremel so I could pull all the window motor etc out.

I don't have an angle grinder, hense why it's at that state for now. Will get round to chopping the rest out when I get hold of one and then cover with some light door cards when I have time. I have to have tidy door cards by regs so all sharp stuff will be behind that.

All the bars and supports will also be cut out, as you said the cage takes care of all that!

More bits turned up yesterday:

DSC01087.jpg

DSC01084.jpg

L_LBRIGHT6.jpg

And I'm now a fully fledged racing driver (aparently!) lol

DSC01095.jpg

Kenno - yeah I'll be at combe for the spring action day.

base-1

Stack = fit :ph34r:

tom_m
Stack = fit :ph34r:

i'll say! *drools*

Dj_mini

Are you going to make the first race this weekend? no updates for a wile ;)

Cheers Dan

Sandy

Touch and go, it's still do-able but still alot of work.

Dj_mini
Touch and go, it's still do-able but still alot of work.

Oh no so good then. Keep us posted as ill go up to combe if you do make it.

Good luck

Cheers Dan

Dixon

Sorry the updates have be few and far between, been up to my eyeballs with work and the car. A brief (ish) update of the progress over the past 2 or 3 weeks…

Managed to find the gearbox I've been looking for on ebay a week or so ago so I can rob the Final Drive from it.

So one night after work I went up to Manchester and back to pick it up. Yes I did say Manchester!!

Been to Merlins (yes, again!) and picked up yet more bits:

New SPA plumbed in fire extinguisher (easier and almost same price as sending off my Lifeline one to be refilled!).

Neck brace.

Reflective material to line the exhaust tunnel and stop my shoes melting.

Novice sticker, door numbers (83) and tow stickers etc.

Picked up the Wheels and tyres last week:

DSC01110.jpg

Lightweight 17"x7.5 Team Dynamics Pro race wheels (as used by the BTCC I think) with buffed 225/35/17 Falcon tyres.

http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/competition_wheels.htm

Dixon

Here's a few pics from Sandy (the engine builder) of the engine during assembly, nearly together!! Some of the pictures are taken carefully to avoid the detail, sorry, but I can't give it all away! :-p

Piston/rod assembly

AD05.JPG

Valves

AD06.JPG

Head

AD07.JPG

Crank/rods/oil pump

AD08.JPG

Pulley end

AD09.JPG

Dixon

Due to the timing getting very close to the race I’ve been driving down to cornwall to help as much as I can and finish off the stuff I needed to do so when it come back it’ll be ready for the race. Went down just over a week ago by myself, then last weekend dragged a mate with me for 2 days and even managed to convince the other half to come with me yesterday to T-cut, polish and fit the stickers!

Anyway, here’s a few updated pics to get some idea. Not all cos I’ve taken hundreds at various stages…

Trial fit of the wheels:

DSC01118.jpg

DSC01119.jpg

Studs and tapered nuts for them turned up today so can get them on properly.

Gauges fitted:

DSC01122.jpg

Dash panel:

DSC01154.jpg

Brackets for bias valve and kill switch:

DSC01156.jpg

Dixon

Reflective material in exhaust tunnel so I don’t melt my shoes!:

DSC01133.jpg

External pull cables mounted:

DSC01139.jpg

Small baffled fuel tank to sit beneath the boot:

DSC01160.jpg

And some of the stickers on:

DSC01168.jpg

DSC01167.jpg

I’ve also fitted the fire extinguisher, harnesses and other bits inside but forgot to take pics of those.

Dixon

Unfortunately, with less than a week to go and various hold ups getting the engine together I had to pull out of the first race.

Totally gutted, was really looking forward to this weekend, but there’s just too much to do. Shame the race isn’t a week later :blush:

DrSarty

Beautiful car; excellent read; heaps of effort & TLC put in; brilliant team & good luck with your first race.

Is that a dent in the front right wing?

Rich :)

Batfink

looks like Colins running out of space lol

His workshop looks full of forum members cars !

Atters

Its all coming together Alan - really liking some of the finishing touches on this! Its a great shame that you missed the first race by such a fine margin and that theres a huge gap before the second but im sure it'll be all the better for the extra time spent tweaking and sorting out the niggles!

Sandy

Did the necessary grinding for the cams to rotate freely, this is all it was:

post-2671-1206475826_thumb.jpg

But required the assembled head to be stripped down completely (again), the grinding, then after one cleaning attempt,I could see the assembly grease was still present and holding swarf from the grinding. So I had to do an intensive clean to get rid of it all! I also had to taper the outside of the tappet shims to clear the spring retainers. Took care of today!

Miles

Looking good,

Kick started me again with it going for paint soon, If any intrest to you I'm going to get a carbon centre bit of the dash made along with glovebox blank's

rapidmi

alot of impressive work goin on here, looks great

Batfink

Though its disappointing now I think this will be worth the delays. The careful preparation now will lead to less problems when you want to race.

Dixon. Will you get time to do a shakedown test on the car to iron out any problems and help setup the car before the next race?

Sandy

Finally timed up the cams and put the engine in today. Hopefully nearing completion now!

Interesting side note, this engine is 11kg lighter than a TU5J4 bare.

AD11.JPG

AD12.JPG

AD13.JPG

Thanks to Johnny for the hosting!

Dan Ingram

Is it mounted on solid engine mounts?

Sandy
Those cams look aggressive!

If you get your ear close enough, you can hear them snarling already :D:( They're pretty modest duration, but the ramps are savage.

Is it mounted on solid engine mounts?

Yes, completely solid mounted.

Edited by sandy309

Dan Ingram

Where does all the vibration go? Will it not crack the casting on the block?

Sandy

It's unlikely to crack unless there's an exceptional flaw in the casting. You wouldn't really want to do this on a road car, but for the mileage this will be doing, it's not an issue.

Dixon
Is that a dent in the front right wing?

Yeah, not too noticable though. Not too bothered anyway, if I go and remove it you can almost gaurentee I'll only wack it in the first race anyway!

Looking good,

Kick started me again with it going for paint soon, If any intrest to you I'm going to get a carbon centre bit of the dash made along with glovebox blank's

Possibly later on in the year when I have some money again. (actually substitute year for decade!lol)

Though its disappointing now I think this will be worth the delays. The careful preparation now will lead to less problems when you want to race.

Dixon. Will you get time to do a shakedown test on the car to iron out any problems and help setup the car before the next race?

Yeah I'm planning to do the trackday at Combe on the 18th and hopefully, if I can afford to, a shakedown and tweeking session before that at Llandow.

Where does all the vibration go?

Through my retina's and teeth!! ;) lol

If you get your ear close enough, you can hear them snarling already :D :D They're pretty modest duration, but the ramps are savage.

lol! Luvely jubely!! :D

Edited by Dixon