• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Deadliest Pug

Rear Brake Compensator?

Deadliest Pug

I went for a brake test at a garage today as I've fitted the 406 SRI brakes to my 405.

Sadly found out that my rear brake compensator is shagged.

How easy is it to change?

Dave!

Ahl

If its anything like my 1.9 205's it'll be dead easy - you'll just need 2 spanners, one to hold the body of the compensator and the other to undo the each end from the brake pipe.

You really need to bleed any air out the system afterwards though, and putting a plastic bag over the brake fluid resevoir and sealing it with an elastic band before you remove the compensator will prevent too much fluid being pushed out the pipes because of air pressure.

Eddy5

Make sure you soak the bleed nipples in PlusGas so they don't seize and snap. It can be very frustrating.

Oh, and yes it is easy to change the compensators. Just take care with the spanners, as it's easy to round off the hex flats.

Edited by Eddy5

Deadliest Pug

Sounds like a nice easy job then :D

Thanks guys!

Dave!

Guest jeremy

Yes I agree very easy, can be done in a bat of an eyelid, with your skates on, well not literally of course, but before you do it, spray everything in WD40 first. Oh and they are bloody expensive for what they are about £35 to £40 each and should be replaced in pairs, it maybe worth a trip to the scappy

Deadliest Pug

The compensator on a 405 costs £65. That's with a 10% discount and without VAT added as I got it trade.

Sadly the pipes on a 405 are made of plastecine, I only just got on pipe off, then preempting the probl;ems I hammered a 10MM spanner onto the 11mm connection and it rounded off again, then despite plus gassing it the night before and loads today the pipe was being twisted with the union.

I now need new rear brake pipes.

Don't you just love easy jobs :D

Dave!

Sign in to follow this