• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave_McC

How Do I Degrease Alternotor And Starter For Painting

Dave_McC

As my Mi rebuild is slowly coming together, I've started thinking about the anciliaries etc. I've painted the Mi block, and also the stat housing and a few other bits. By comparison the alternator and starter look really manky - so I'd quite like to paint them up. Thing is, how do I degrease them without ruining them - I normally use either a Clarke parts washer or liberally dose with Jizer - but can't imagine either will do brushes, bearings etc any good at all.

So what's anyone else done to clean these up before painting?

Cheers

Dave

steve@cornwall
As my Mi rebuild is slowly coming together, I've started thinking about the anciliaries etc. I've painted the Mi block, and also the stat housing and a few other bits. By comparison the alternator and starter look really manky - so I'd quite like to paint them up. Thing is, how do I degrease them without ruining them - I normally use either a Clarke parts washer or liberally dose with Jizer - but can't imagine either will do brushes, bearings etc any good at all.

So what's anyone else done to clean these up before painting?

Cheers

Dave

Wire brush, wipe with rag, then wipe with rag wetted with thinners or meths -

Sign in to follow this