• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eddie bullit

Pas To No Pas

eddie bullit

My previous pug didnt have power steering and my present one has. What I want to know is whats involved in actually changing to a non pas set up. I just remember the non pas steering being so accurate and detailed but the one I have now is a bit dead in the straight ahead position. I want that steering feel back as that is one of the main attributes of a 205 imo. I know some just disconnect the pas pump. please tell me whats involved in both and costs please cheers.

Tom Fenton

Really quite straightforward, you will need the steering column off a non-pas 205, and then a non-pas steering rack. Both parts will bolt on in the standard places with no modification required. You will then obviously need to remove the pump, reservior and pipework, and move the alternator down into the usual place.

After you have done this you can sell all your PAS stuff on ebay for a decent price which should easily cover the cost of the parts you have needed to buy. Recon manual rack can be bought for less than £40.

eddie bullit
Really quite straightforward, you will need the steering column off a non-pas 205, and then a non-pas steering rack. Both parts will bolt on in the standard places with no modification required. You will then obviously need to remove the pump, reservior and pipework, and move the alternator down into the usual place.

After you have done this you can sell all your PAS stuff on ebay for a decent price which should easily cover the cost of the parts you have needed to buy. Recon manual rack can be bought for less than £40.

cheers Tom thanks for the advice

pug_ham

You can just ditch the power equipment but keep the rack so you don't need to buy anything.

Its slightly quicker ratio than a non pas rack, I've got this on my car as have several other people on here.

If you do this its best to remove the ram from the rack body & the stud from the opposite end of the ram on the steering arm because some MOT testers can fail a car with this if they notice it.

Also, its worth blocking the holes in the body where the pipes went in.

Graham.

eddie bullit
You can just ditch the power equipment but keep the rack so you don't need to buy anything.

Its slightly quicker ratio than a non pas rack, I've got this on my car as have several other people on here.

If you do this its best to remove the ram from the rack body & the stud from the opposite end of the ram on the steering arm because some MOT testers can fail a car with this if they notice it.

Also, its worth blocking the holes in the body where the pipes went in.

Graham.

cheers pugtorque is it normal for the pas set up to feel a little dead around centre or could it be worn bushes etc..?

pug_ham

I'd say its not normal for it to feel dead around the centre.

I've never had PAS on a GTi but I have it on my STDT & can't say I've noticed any dead areas with it.

How much dead around centre movement are you talking about?

Graham.

Guest eddie 309

power steering in my mk2 scares me sooooo used to not havin it in previous golfs I just binned the pump and pipe work and plugged holes FTW

maturin23

Might be worth checking your suspension top mounts if you haven't replaced them recently.

I was most disappointed with the PAS feel of my pug when I bought it (having never driven another example) but replacing the top mounts made an enormous difference.

Tom Fenton

I drove a 205 with a PAS rack with the ram disconnected, personally I didn't like it hence my method would be to put a manual rack on. Each to their own though.

pug_ham
I drove a 205 with a PAS rack with the ram disconnected, personally I didn't like it hence my method would be to put a manual rack on. Each to their own though.

Tom, was that with just the ram removed or all the associated gubbins for the system removed as well?

Tbh it is very slightly heavier at parking speeds but I find no difference when driving along between the PAS & non- PAS.

Like Tom says though, each to their own.

Graham.

Tom Fenton

It just had the pipes to the ram disconnected, all the rest was still there. As I say everyone likes different things.

Alan_M

My de-PAS'd rack felt dead around centre, hence the reason the why I bought a proper quickrack kit.

There was a decent thread on de-PAS'd racks, and why they tend to feel lifeless around centre.

Alastairh

Alan where did you get your new kit in the end, and how much did it cost?

Tempted to do mine :rolleyes:

Alan_M
Alan where did you get your new kit in the end, and how much did it cost?

Tempted to do mine :rolleyes:

WMMS, can't remember exact cost but it was around £100 for the rack, pinion and a bronze bush. The bush replaces a plastic item that collapses in hard driving in the end of the rack.

2.5 turns lock to lock apparently!

You also need a new bearing for the pinion, I 'may' be able to get you one though :lol:

Edited by Alan_M

eddie bullit
I'd say its not normal for it to feel dead around the centre.

I've never had PAS on a GTi but I have it on my STDT & can't say I've noticed any dead areas with it.

How much dead around centre movement are you talking about?

Graham.

When stationary with engine off doesnt seem to be any play when moving steering wheel back and forth but on the road feel like theres about 5 mins either sides of twelve oclock :D hope that makes sense..

Simes
It just had the pipes to the ram disconnected, all the rest was still there. As I say everyone likes different things.

That will be the problem - as the ram will still be providing a lot of resistance. It needs to be removed for this to work.

pug_ham
When stationary with engine off doesnt seem to be any play when moving steering wheel back and forth but on the road feel like theres about 5 mins either sides of twelve oclock :) hope that makes sense..

When staionary with the engine turned off you have no power to the PAS system so it won't have any slack as you are working against the fluid resistance.

By five mins do you mean five minutes of a dgree or five minutes as on a clock face? I guess you mean as in on a clock face which is excessive so something is wrong & you need to check over your whole steering system for what is causing this much free play.

I'll do a comparison between my STDT with PAS & GTi without tomorrow & post up what play (if any) I have.

Graham.

eddie bullit
When staionary with the engine turned off you have no power to the PAS system so it won't have any slack as you are working against the fluid resistance.

By five mins do you mean five minutes of a dgree or five minutes as on a clock face? I guess you mean as in on a clock face which is excessive so something is wrong & you need to check over your whole steering system for what is causing this much free play.

I'll do a comparison between my STDT with PAS & GTi without tomorrow & post up what play (if any) I have.

Graham.

cheers Graham thanks for the help. Going to get to a local garage where my mate works. Im hoping its something simple like dodgy cheapo tyres which its been sat on for over 12 months without moving or maybe the bushes / top mounts could do with replacing. Im not worried that its been in a bump or anything just think somethings perished or let go with old age.

Its going to the bodyshop this morning to have its boot resprayed glass out proper job. After the previous clowns respraying the car the rear has crazed badly and its not finished very well around the rear screen. I've found a decent bodyshop now sods law that :) so as soon as the bodywork is complete I can turn my attention to minor things like the steering and tyres :wub: who cares if the steering feels dead..... looks good. :lol:

V8Pete

How do you get that stud off?

Sign in to follow this