• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sussex_gti

Angle Of Mi16 Manifold Re-angle

sussex_gti

Going to vut and re-weld my manifold. What angle should i do it at? Is it best to cut and weld at either the manifold to head flange, or the downpipe flange?

Cheers, Chris.

Mandic

Do a search... been covered several times

Cheers

Ziga

sussex_gti

When i searched it came up with search overloaded or something like that! Cheers for the info.

whizzer71
When i searched it came up with search overloaded or something like that! Cheers for the info.

Would advise against it Chris,last one we did just cracked again and again and again and then some, then went in the bin !,It wasnt the weld that craked but the actual steel itself either side of the weld,(Mark welded it and he used to build bed frames for Puma generators!)I had my Gti6 one done by a local engineering firm charged me £20 and it was perfect,never cracked either.(Since had two more done there no hassles)

Just buy one from 205parts pre done end of hassle !,either that or get a 4 branch ....pricey tho !

:huh:

Edited by whizzer71

jackherer

Cut the head side, not the exhaust flange.

whizzer71
Cut the head side, not the exhaust flange.

Yep thats where we did it ,just kept cracking I really wouldnt advise it !

:huh:

jackherer

Yes I agree, having had one crack myself I use wedges now, but a lot of people have done well with welded manifolds.

taylorspug

Ive had no problems with the wedge plates that QEP sell, and have used them several times over now. Good thing is if you need to get another manifold for whatever reason you only have to get a std one, not a reangled item. :D

The only one i ever welded up..........cracked!

Mattsav

The reason we started making the re-angling plates is because eventually the welded manifolds crack.

The one on my car lasted 2 years before it cracked and its a complete pain to change with the engine in.

Mikey G

Cut and rewelded a manifold ourselves, took 2mm out of the bottom of the headers before rewelding to the flange, never had a problem.

ORB

I have had three manifolds that are cut and welded, never seen an issue yet.

As long as the welding is done well, there is no reason for it to fail.

Sign in to follow this