• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jon_Bmw

Mi16 Engine No Start.

Jon_Bmw

Right this is on a 405mi16 2.0, not our 205 mi16. It seems when one works, the other has a tantrum and decides not to work :)

Its my brothers car and i'm trying to get it fixed for him whilst he is skiing. Nice huh?

He went to drive to the airport and went to start the car and he said it sounded like it had no compression and assumed he had snapped the cambelt.

Anyway we checked the cambelt tonight, its all fine and timed up correctly using the bolt hole technique. Total worst case scenario is that it is one tooth out, but i'm 99% certain it is spot on the money.

So we took the plugs out and did a compression test expecting to see one cylinder right down.

Results: Cold test(obviously):

1) 4 bar

2) 4 bar

3) 4 bar

4) 4 bar

:blink::angry:

WHAT the f**k is going on here then? It seems unlikely that the gasket has blown and all four cylinders are foobarred at the same time.

With the throttle held wide open it is worth noting that they made 6 to 7 bar, but all consistant.

Now the starter motor has always been fairly lazy on this car, turning over quite slow. So my question is. Could a slow/worn starter motor cause the low compression results? As it doesn't seem to be as fast at going up the gauge as our 205 mi16 engine. That shots up like a rocket, where as this is fairly slow to a measly 6 bar :angry:

To me it seems unlikely that the valves are bent as the timing all looks spot on. The cambelt and tensioners are less than 2 years old as well.

So is it an unrelated problem or is something f**ked. It certianly doesn't sound right when starting it, sounds like no compression and indeed there is very little. But it still doesn't spin very fast for no compression in my opinion.

Ideas guys?

Jon

M_R_205

it could be the slow starter stoping it from firing, and also giving the low presure, the slower the starter the more time the air has to escape from the cylinder on the compression stroke..., try a good one, off your car :)

Jon_Bmw

Yeah We have another one spare, although its untested. I just can't help thinking its not solely the starter motors fault. Something doesn't sound right. :huh:

Mikey S

could be the lifters holding the valves slightly open, have you tried tow starting it?

Jon_Bmw
could be the lifters holding the valves slightly open, have you tried tow starting it?

This is what we thinking about trying, but due to various logistical issues will be a right pain in the ass :D

I am being midly retarded as its been a long day at work, would whipping off the rocker cover show us anything amiss?

Mikey S
This is what we thinking about trying, but due to various logistical issues will be a right pain in the ass :)

I am being midly retarded as its been a long day at work, would whipping off the rocker cover show us anything amiss?

no it wouldnt unfortunately. ford zetecs used to have trouble with this a few years back. no compression on a cold morning. changing the oil for 5w30 and a bump start usually sorted them out. try changing the oil and filter and try to start it again.

Sign in to follow this