• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GazRallye

K Series Water Pump Change

GazRallye

Before anyone says wrong forum etc, I thought I'd try on here as theres a lot of very knowledgeable people on here who have experience with cars other than our own 205!

I'm changing the water pump on my mates Rover 216 convertible, along with the cambelt and tensioner. I'm not sure if its the engine with the automatic tensioner or not yet, so i've got both kits and just get a refund on the one I don't need.

Will I have to lock the cams in place before I take the belt off? (I've not done a belt change on a twin cam before)

Where is the coolant drainage plug and bleed points?

Cheers

TurboSam

I did a belt and a water pump on an 8v K series before Christmas..

Your meant to lock the cams together, but I'm sure you can do without it..

I didn't spend anytime looking for drainage plugs etc so just whipped the bottom hose off.

GazRallye
I didn't spend anytime looking for drainage plugs etc so just whipped the bottom hose off.

haha, why didn't i just think of that! :)

Mikey S

did a k today on a freelander. in a phrase there a piece of piss. you dont have to lock the cams if you dont want but you will have to hold the cam pullys with a spanner as they will turn when the belt is removed. the tool costs about a fiver.

to time it up there are two dots on the crank pulley with a line at about 1 o clock on the oil pump housing. the dots sit either side of the line.

the cams are stamped with inlet and exhaust. when the are timed correctly it should read: inlet--exhaust. its possible to set them 180 degrees out and the markings will read exhaust--inlet. just turn the crank 1 revolution to get them into the right position.

when you put the new tensioner on it is already set at the 9 o clock position, dont turn it as it makes it difficult to get the belt on. when the belt is on turn the tensioner anticlockwise to tension the belt.

if you need any more help, yell!! :)

mike

GazRallye

Nice one mate :)

A friend of my mate used to work for Landrover and still has a tool for locking the cams, must be one of those

phonecomz

As mentioned it's dead easy really, must have done hundreds of em, forgot what the 216 is like for access but i have a rover 25 and that a bit of a pig.

If you need any help let me know, i think i may even have a video on it somewhere, i'll have a look and pm you if i can find it.

GazRallye

Having nightmares with this! Theres barely any room as the engine mount gets right in the way and theres hardly any room to get my hands in there.

Theres 2 belts I need to get off before I get to the cambelt, 1st is the power steering I presume and the other the alternator.

I can't figure out how to slacken the tensioner on the 1st belt, I can see its on a slider and theres a long bolt going through the side of the spindle on the tensioner, that has a square bolt head (accessing it from under the car) for some reason. I've been loosening this but don't seem to be getting anywhere.

If you can get me that video that would be ace.

TurboSam

I couldn't slacken the power steering belt either, the slider was all siezed up, and its got this stupid circlip thing which falls off at a hint of pressure to undo it.

Anyway, I just prised the belt off

Guest eddie 309

k series engines are a doddle dnt neet to lock cams but i do lost tool done one last week used mole grips seemed ti work

Sign in to follow this