• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Baz

406 Problem - 'squealing' Brakes Etc

Baz

Got a funny issue with an '02 406, basically as you're driving a long it starts squealing/squeaking, until you touch the brakes. I had all the brakes apart a couple of weeks ago and greased up the sliders, pads etc, and made sure the pistons were free, also at the same time checked for any play in wheel bearings etc, and there wasn't anything obvious.

Driving it again after was fine, noise pretty much gone. BUT!!! -It's come back, with a vengeance!! :wacko: I'm going to have a look at it possibly tomorrow, sound familiar to anyone, any pointers? :)

Tom Fenton

Sounds like a 205 or 405 with bendix calipers and a sticky slider to me, this is what these do. Recheck your sliders would be my first port of call.

jackherer

My Xantia had a similar issue, reconditioning the brakes did nothing and for a while I thought it was a rear wheel bearing making the disc run out of true in the caliper but it was much weirder than that, the rear caliper mounting on the rear arm had corroded and had started pushing the caliper away from the mounting! With the corrosion cleaned off the mating faces the caliper bolted back on correctly. I have no idea how water could get between the two supposedly flat mounting faces unless the caliper was loose before I got the car...?

Baz

That was my initial thpought Tom, sticking caliper etc, but that's now fine and it's still there! Next thought was bearings making a disc run untrue like said, but as i say, there's no obvious play in any.

I'll have a closer look at the rears then! Cheers Kieran.

jackherer

Another point I forgot to mention is that tyre wear was dreadful on the affected wheel.

Sign in to follow this