• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fangoria

205 Gti Starting Problem

Guest Fangoria

i've got a K reg 205 gti 1.6, from cold the car will turn over and over til the battery goes flat but will not start, bump start it and it'll start and run, i can switch it straight off then and it will then start off the key, doesn't run very good when cold either but its fine when its warm, its a new battery on it, i've changed the air flow meter and the cold start but its still the same, anyone any ideas?

sammyh

Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on?

Guest Fangoria

i tried it earlier and no it doesn't but does prime when the car has been running so guess that could be it, i'll try the fuel pump relay tomorrow, would that cause the poor running when cold too?

Tom Fenton
Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on?

None of the 205's I've ever owned have done. The fuel pump is kicked in when the engine is turned over with the starter, not when you just turn the key.

Rob_the_Sparky
None of the 205's I've ever owned have done. The fuel pump is kicked in when the engine is turned over with the starter, not when you just turn the key.

They should though, my 309 never kicked in before cranking and took quite a bit of cranking for ti to fire where my 205s both started nearly instantly.

Guest Fangoria

ok changed the fuel pump relay today and it primes when the ignition is turned on but it still won't start on the key, bumped it and it fired up and would then start off the key again and starts instantly when its warm but not from cold

CaptainK
They should though, my 309 never kicked in before cranking and took quite a bit of cranking for ti to fire where my 205s both started nearly instantly.

That would probably explain why my original 205 1.9 GTi was a pain to start. I never knew it was supposed to do that.

BUT, now its been converted to GTi6 I hear the pump quick in before I turn the key for starter. Scared me the first time as I wondered what the noise was. :) And yes, the GTi6 starts instantly.

Guest Fangoria

Problem solved anyway, it was the coil, fitted one today and the car started straight away

Edited by Fangoria

Sign in to follow this