• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dan9

Steering Rack Knuckles!

dan9

There is play in my steering rack, not in the track rod ends as you would expect, but in the joint between the track rod and the rack itself.

Is this "knuckle" a replaceable part? Does it unscrew from the main rack? Perhaps someone who has stripped a steering rack can enlighten me!

Alternatively, how much might it cost to buy a whole steering rack?

Mikey S
There is play in my steering rack, not in the track rod ends as you would expect, but in the joint between the track rod and the rack itself.

Is this "knuckle" a replaceable part? Does it unscrew from the main rack? Perhaps someone who has stripped a steering rack can enlighten me!

Alternatively, how much might it cost to buy a whole steering rack?

you can buy them, circa there 18 quid a side but you may need the special tool to remove them. it looks like a half moon with a piece of bar on a pivot. im sure your local, friendly garage may have one you can borrow for a drink.

alternatively there are buying a new rack or a secondhand one but its more time consuming replacing the rack than the inner arms.

jonnie205

yes you can get them new or fnd some good ones at scrappy just use some stilsons to remove

C_W

They have a kind of spider washer kind of thing to act as a threadlock; I removed and replaced both of mine with mole grips (on a bench).

Sign in to follow this