• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Cam Belt Question

djinuk

i have a 1.9 gti with the spring loaded tensioner, i removed the old belt and the head etc, timed it up, then for the tensioner i loosened the 2 small nuts on the front (11mm) i think, and then there was one larger nut behind it at the back which was a 16mm, i pushed the tensioner back , put the belt on and allowed the tensioner to push back onto the belt, ive turned the engine over a few times by hand but the belt seem's perfectly tight on one side, (the side the tensioner sits on( but on the other side its so slack i can spin it around 180 degree's , am i missing something ?

Sandy

Are you turning the engine clockwise?

nick

If you haven't tightened the tensioner up it will feel slack as it is just pushing the whole thing back not pushing against the spring.

Nick

jas-E

hey mate,

Your timing belt should have two white marks on it that you should line up with marks (punched dots) on the cam and crank. Make sure you line those up before tensioning it.

If you dont have those marks on your belt, i would start putting the belt on the longest side and then follow it around through the water pump and the tensioner. Thing is if you start putting the belt from the tensioner side, since the cam and crank pulleys are toothed, the longest side will not tension itself. It will just sit at which ever tooth on the belt you put it on and be very loose. The water pump and tensioner are not toothed so they can take up the tension easily.

From what i remember the belt on the longest side just needs to move 90 degrees. 180 is too much. If im wrong on that please someone correct me.

(hope it made sense) Good Luck

Jas

djinuk

that makes sence buddy, tomorrow im going to lock the cam and pulley, take of the belt, and put it on so taht the longest side is under tension, then do the other side with the water pump etc

Sign in to follow this