• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
robin_jacobs

Oil Cooler On Mi16

robin_jacobs

Hy;

After reading topic: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=83813, i have a question:

I a couple of months i will be busy with a mi16 and 45's carbs conversion in my 91' 205. I'am wondering if there are people driving with no oil cooler. I mean, bolt the oil filter directly on the engine. On my former 205 gentry there was also no oil cooler present.

My idea was: first drive with no oil cooler, i can always install a mocal oil cooler later......

Just wanne know what the experiences are here??

Thanks and regards

Robin Jacobs

the netherlands

p.s. the car will be a road driven car, maybe later on the car will see tracks.

jackherer

We ran my mates s16 205 with no oil cooler and it could do 9-10 laps on track without getting too hot and was never an issue on the road.

Anthony

On the road it'll be fine - on track, it'll depend how hard you drive, but usually more than 10-15 minutes on track in the summer months will have the oil temperature nearing the end of the gauge in my experience.

Stu

How much of a problem is that Anthony? im using the stock water fed exchanger on mine, but with the XU10 sump so run over 6 litres of oil.

Obviously the hotter the oil gets the thinner it gets, but up to a point obviously. I too wondered wether i should bin the original cooler and get a mocal or something.

Simes

I've run with no oil cooler for 4 years. I can manage 4 laps of the large circuit at Brunters before the oil temp rises to the fourth marking.

On road I've driven and sat in traffic at 35deg C (abroad) with no issues, single rad fan too.

For track work get a cooler if you don't do much there's no real need.

Anthony
How much of a problem is that Anthony? im using the stock water fed exchanger on mine, but with the XU10 sump so run over 6 litres of oil.

The water-oil heat exchanger is great on the road and helps the oil get upto temperature, but for track work I find it completely hopeless and all it seems to achieve is sending the coolant temperature through the roof along with the oil. Certainly in my old 309 Goodwood 1.9 8v that had an heat exchanger, in a 15 minute track session I could get both the coolant and oil temperature needles pretty much maxed out :P

Obviously the hotter the oil gets the thinner it gets, but up to a point obviously. I too wondered wether i should bin the original cooler and get a mocal or something.

Very high oil temperature typically means low oil pressure (~2 bar with the oil temp needle near the end of the gauge in my experience) and a much bigger risk of spinning a shell - already enough of an occupational hazard on an Mi engine frankly.

However, I'd say suck it and see before splashing cash to solve a problem (ie very high oil temps) you might not experience.

robin_jacobs

Hy;

Many thanks for the replys, i think i'am gonna stick to my original plan: first drive with no oil cooler, can always later install an oil cooler..(maybe saving me some money like Anthony says) :P

Regards, Robin

Sign in to follow this