• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sussex_gti

8v Oil Cooler On An Mi16?

sussex_gti

I'm sure this has been covered, but can i use the oil cooler from my existing 1.9 8v on the 16v in fitting in 2 weeks?

Cheers,

Chris.

Anthony

Yes, it's a straight swap - remove the existing water-oil heat exchanger fitted to the Mi first though (if it's still there)

Mikey G
Yes, it's a straight swap - remove the existing water-oil heat exchanger fitted to the Mi first though (if it's still there)

May already be an oil-water unit on the 8v anyway, seen a few fitted with the remote type near the gearbox instead of direct to block.

The air-oil cooler fitted to some models doesnt look upto much anyway.

Anthony
May already be an oil-water unit on the 8v anyway, seen a few fitted with the remote type near the gearbox instead of direct to block.

The air-oil cooler fitted to some models doesnt look upto much anyway.

It was 205 1.9 GTi's with PAS that had the remote water-oil heat exchanger. Non-PAS models had the air-oil cooler.

The standard air-oil cooler is a bit hopeless in my opinion frankly, but it will fit, which is what the poster asked...

Simes

To add unless you're doing a lot of track work no oil cooler and an alloy finned sump work fine.

Miles

You can only fit the oil cooler if your useing a short inlet manifold as cutting the rad cowling reduces the amount of room you have left.

The remote oil heater's where fitted to most post mid 91 1.9's with or without P/S but worth finding one if you can even if you don;t run the heat exchanger as it makes changing the filter very very easy

sussex_gti

I'd imagine that fitting even the o.e remote oil cooler over the standard water-oil cooler will beneficial? I wont be doing any track work, but anything i can do to prevent damage has got to be worth it? It seems to wrok well enough on the 8v i have at the moment.

petert

My son has been running his Mi16 around for a year without any cooler. Just the filter screwed straight on the block. It runs about 10 deg. hotter (half a bar) than my car under any given situation. It's fine for a road car. In a cold climate you probably wouldn't notice the difference. My XU10 Xantia doesn't have any cooler, or any oil temp gauge. It's perfectly happy as well!

C_W

I'm running the 8v air oil cooler with standard manifolds, I prefer to run with one (had to run without it and it ran noticeably higher oil temps on motorway runs), it is also a bit of help on trackdays where the oil temp can go towards the end of the gauge.

KRISKARRERA

I took mine off years ago with no ill effects but as you said Miles it was useful come oil change time.

James_m
I'm running the 8v air oil cooler with standard manifolds, I prefer to run with one (had to run without it and it ran noticeably higher oil temps on motorway runs), it is also a bit of help on trackdays where the oil temp can go towards the end of the gauge.

I also run one with standard manifolds and found it to be suprisingly effective on track, with no real temp issues at all. Though im going to remove it for road use.

pee vee

i found my standard 1900 air-oil cooler to be a little too small for track use.

the oil got pretty hot after a few laps.. but they are still useable, IF you want to use on track,

just keep an eye on the oil temp :)

sussex_gti

Cheers for all the advice, gonna try the 8v oil cooler and see how i get on. Dont plan to do any track days, as this is a daily driver and cant afford to kill it!

28CRAIG

If it's not going on track leave the oil cooler off i was using a mocal one on my mi16 but oil temps never got up above the second bar with hard driving on the road so took it of with no problems and my 1.9 8v daily driver has no oil cooler with a steel sump without any problems.

Sign in to follow this